New Build Issue - IDE HD Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

RhythmMgmnt

Baseband Member
*I originally posted this in Building, Buying, or Upgrading High Performance PC Systems but it fits better here and it won't let me delete that topic*

Specs in my sig. All wired up and in BIOS, my 200GB HD not reading. Screen is as follows:

Pri IDE Master: DVD-R
Pri IDE Slave: DVD-RW
Third IDE Master: 37.0GB
Third IDE Slave: Not Detected
Fourth IDE Master: Not Detected
Fourth IDE Slave: Not Detected

My 37GB is SATA and 200GB is IDE.

37GB SATA works fine. So, does the 200GB count as a slave (since my 37GB SATA would be my "master") or is it still a master, since it is the only IDE hard drive (and only IDE drive at all on its cable)? This will affect my jumper settings and which color of the IDE cable goes into the HD. I tried a bunch of combinations and no dice.

The best I got was to the Boot page and under Hard Disk Drives, both show up (So I know the 200GB is not dead at least), but in the Main page the 200GB is nowhere to be found. What gives?

Does this apply to me?
http://techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79821

Can someone help me out here? Thanks! :D

RM

The "master/slave" thing refers to a single channel, and the hard drive is the only drive on its channel, so it should be a master. Either way, any time you can't get a drive to show up play around with jumper settings. It can't hurt the drive and it works often.

Dan

Have you tried putting Both on Cable Select?

Have you tried POSTing with just the 200 GB Drive attached?

Have you tried Putting the Optical Drives On EIDE Channel two and both HD's on the Primary EIDE Channel?

Have you tried Putting one Optical Drive and one Hard Drive Per Channel?

nitestick said:
no the barrier will not apply to you as you have SATA as well as IDE therefore the controllers were made after the fix for the barrier.

the 200GB should be a master.

Hmm...I thought there was a software barrier too, where regular XP pro (no SP's) could only support 137GB?

Wow, thanks for the responses! I will definitely try soon, but going to a concert tonight. Quick few clarifications first.

Ste,
Maybe this will help clarify:

I have a PRI_IDE plug, which my 2 opti's are plugged into and are coming up fine in BIOS.
I have a PRI_EIDE plug, which my 200GB is plugged into (not working).
My 37GB is SATA, and that's working fine.

Is it something to do with the EIDE vs. IDE? What's the difference?

Thanks!

RM

Also, is there a difference btewen the Black/Black/Black and Black/Blue/Gray cables? It seems from the mobo book that the B/B/G should be used for Opti's into PRI_IDE, but it clearly says "HDD" cable on it. Right now I'm using it for the HDD in my PRI_EIDE and not getting 200GB to show up.

Confusing!

RM

I don't know id the\is is rlevent or not, but I've seen boards that will only recognise either SATA or IDE, but not both at the same time.

OK got Windows in (installed on the 37GB SATA). Wanted to see if the 200GBer came up in My Computer. Survey says... NOPE. Weird part is, when I went to go update drivers for other stuff, it shows up under Hard Disks in Device Manager, model name and all. What gives?

Also getting beeps at BIOS screen (just one beep). Looked it up in mobo book:

"One Beep:
1. Keyboard controller error
2. Refresh Time Error
3. No master drive detected"

1. My keyboard works in BIOS and just fine in windows.
2. The time seems to be going along merrily (both in BIOS and windows)
3. My 37GBer comes up in BIOS..
what gives with the beep?

RM

Poked around a bit on the net, is it because it's unformatted it doesn't show up (the 200GB)?

RM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom