Computer issues(presumably hardware ones)

Status
Not open for further replies.
:(. Bah. And to think I bought a new 512 mb's of ram not more then two or so months ago. Ahhh well, time to reach in the pocket once again. Thanks for the help. Just hope that is all of the problem.

To contrast your RAM Issue, Some months ago I had a random freezing problem.

Ran memtest for 8 Hours.
HAD only two ERRORS!
Replaced it anyways and the problem went away. So I have no idea how you computer is even POSTing with 300K Erros. Ouch.

The thing is, I can do pretty much everything on the internet, listen to music and download stuff as well as watch videos and burn cd's. Just can't unpack most files since there are non existant CRc errors, or install most of the things(games in particular).

What I was wondering does that mean that all of the rams are bad or just a segment of it? I had 512 ram until recently and then just added 512 more. Could it be possible that the two are in conflict or something like that? Or that only 512 of it is bad while the other 512 are valid, and if yes how could I test which are good and which are bad?

Take one out, and run memtest for 6 - 7 hours. Then, take that stick out and put the other stick in and run memtest for another 6 - 7 hours.

Are the two sticks identical? Same manufacturer, speed, etc? I have run into problems using two different brands of RAM even though they are the same speed, Mhz etc. Or you could just have a bad stick and a dying stick.

Alright, here is an update of sorts. I removed one of the memory sticks at random from out of my disk so I am back to 512 rams. The files that were corrupted on the hard disk still remain corrupted but I believe that may be due to the fact they were on the disk.

I did the test by installing World of Warcraft and patching it(something I couldn't do before) so that the game works now. Now, is there any sort of "valid" test that this did the job and that everything is alright now, and if it is, what am I to do with the other memory stick which might very well be working just fine but doesn't "agree" with the other? Or is that one, which I pulled out, not working and if yes how can I tell in some tests?

Also thanks to everyone for helping in at least moving the issue forward and making me somewhat bring stuff on a normal track.

run memtest for that 1 stick you have in if it comes back ok then dump the other one it has loads of errors and wont work for much longer if at all. The NTFS errors you have in your event log are also troubling find the make of your hard drive and we`ll link a diagnostic tool for that one that can check it over.

Very well, I will do mem test over night. As for the mark of hard drive, on the receipt it says

Hard disk WD 160 GB.

Also, the motherboard is Asus P4S800

Well, I downloaded that program and ran it according to instructions. It didn't report any errors after the extended test, just gave it a green "ok" sign when it was done and a "passed" next to it.

I also did memtest with only one 512 memstick inserted and after six hours of testing it didn't report any errors. Now, I am considering of taking that stick out and inserting the other one back in to test that one. Maybe both of them are good just incompatible with one another so I could still replace it for the one that would match?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom