Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricBlue107

Solid State Member
Okay the XFX GeForce 7950 GX2 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2240945&sku=P450-7858), okay it has a dual graphics processor, but do you need SLI ready motherboard to have it on your computer, or does it just take up more space?

Also, is that graphics card overkill? Cause I have the funds now to build a new computer, and I have a lot of money set aside and saved for it, but I'd rather buy good parts now than have to constantly buy more stuff later on.

no you don't need an SLI motherboard to use that card. is it overkill? it depends on what you want to do i guess.... what other components are you thinking of getting? we'll tell you if its worth downgrading your video card if your components aren't great.. but if they're good, no need to downgrade the video card.

Then he can wait for the cards after R600 and G80's! Then wait for even better cards! Oh then wait for DX11 to come out! Yea!

...I think you should just get it or get a 7950gt ko to hold you up till you feel like its the time to upgrade again.

waiting for comput'er parts is generally not recommended UNLESS you're at the brink of a new generation of technology. if you were gonna buy a PC in the spring of '06, it was a good idea to wait for conroe (even if getting AMD). if someone wanted a PC in winter of '06 or fall of '05, then obviously waiting would not have been such a good idea.

so now with video cards, since we're on the brink of new generation of cards, i say its a good idea to wait, especially since he's planning on spending so much on the current card... i think he should probably get like a 6600gt or 7600gt or x850xt till the R600 comes out...

in my opinion waiting for the next generation GPUs could definitely be worth it especially when comparing a frankenstein like the GX2 to a single GPU solution that is more powerful. perhaps buy an interim card like a 7600gt or even a second hand 6600gt to hold you over, put away money to replace that you spent and add more to get a good card when the next gen is available.

HAVOC2k5 said:
If the money is set aside, then save a little longer and wait for the DX10 cards. R600's or G80's...

May-be?

I agree... If you get a Dx9 card it will not be able to support Dx10 games when it comes out...And to comment on Jayvons response "Dx10 is coming out early 2007 so why buy a Dx9 card now when it will be majorly outdated it 6 months or so"

just a 7600gt, theyre right,
its not totally garbage, or so ive heard, depend what your playing, never owned it but i should of not wasted $325 on my 7900gt(sold my ipod for most of the cost)
but not everyone is talkin about g80's so avidly i really cant say how far away they are or how they will even be compatible.

What video card do you have now... If it's decent you could probably wait till when the DX10 cards come out... right..? Unless the 100 dollars or so doesn't mean much to you..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom