Buying A New Gaming Rig That Will Be Easily Upgrded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have a suggestion for a 7950GX2?

newegg has it for just under 500, should i hold out a bit longer since the prices dropped already?

norcal313 said:
Thanks for the info guys, good stuff.

Will overclocking be difficult to do? I have 0 experience doing such things.

I had no experience with overclocking, but a little help from TF got me a long way. I got my E6600 from 2.4Ghz to 3.5Ghz top. :)

norcal313 said:
Thanks for the info guys, good stuff.

Will overclocking be difficult to do? I have 0 experience doing such things.

It seems really complex at first but it's honestly not as bad as people say it can be.

Yeah re-booting 9 times sure can be boring, but it's also the fun part.

Priming...well......thats no fun.

And like General said, TF can help you along the ways.

:D

My biggest issue is upgrading to the new generation vid cards coming out semi-soon, and Vista as well.

Will the builds mentioned here be able to do that with ease? Or will I have to get a new mobo and possibly have to upgrade the memory and power supply?

Well if you're going with Conroe or AM2 then you won't need to upgrade in order for it to be compatable with the next gen cards and Vista....as they're Vista ready. For the next gen graphics, I don't know, since I heard they can use up alot of power that....they may include an external power supply.

Ok, so I'll get a C2D e6xxx, some good DDR2 ram (2g), a decent gpu for now, and a mobo that will support it (such as the one listed previously), and maybe shoot for a 700w PSU in case the future cards need that added boost?

I'm still worried that a good mobo now may not be compatible with the newer cards. Is this even something I could foresee?

With how fast PCs are geting better i dont think you could be sure that you would be compatable with the new gen GPU's. With all the companys trying to out do each other who knows whats come in the future. Thats why i think with something like computers there should only be one type or they sound at least work togeather on makeing sure every part they produce can work with each other. At least the big companys like Intel, AMD, ATI, Nvidia, And the others.

But id probly go with geting a good comp that can play the new games out with no prob on high, but be sure to get a good low cost Mobo, As i see it every thing comes off the Mobo so if theres a new GPU slot type but the CPU socket stays the same and they build off of that then you can change the mobo. But realy its ineveitabol. Your going to haft to up it with in the next 4 or 5 year or even less with how fast things are geting better.

lets settle some things... i don't see pci-express x 16 dying out any time soon... so i don't think motherboard compatibility with new cards will be an issue, so don't worry about..... they arent using the full bandwidth of pci-e x16 yet, so why would they dump it?

and i think a 700 watt psu should do fine.... i doubt they're gonna consume more power than 2 x1900xtx's in crossfire... and thats alot of juice....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom