intel plans quad core chip for 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first chip, the Intel Core 2 Extreme quad-core processor, will be available in November. Intel says it will deliver a 70 percent performance improvement over Intel's current chips, which have one or two computing cores. The new chip is aimed at gamers, programmers and other people with heavy-duty computing needs.

I can see it now, "Newegg.com has them for $1799.00"

It's promising technology.... Can't wait to see the benchmarkss.

true or faux, most likely intel's experience and engineering will negate any difference. Case in point is the off die memory controller. Intel's was better so they didn't have to integrate it.

Of course if they did, it'd be that much quicker :)

ok not lets set aside everything that people are talking about.....

intel's current line of cpu's beat AMD
now theoretically multiply that by 2x.

what do you have?

a wholesale sized can of e-coli laced spinach that will knock AMD dead.

and to end this little rant. I have been an Intel fanboy, always have, always will. Semper Fi.
And I have been talking about Intel taking back the rule of the world almost 1 year ago. And people blew my posts off like dust on a 45 record. Belive me, AMD going to go quad core... Sure.....
But you cannot pull a new architecture out of your *** in such a short amount of time. Get over it, AMD has lost the crown for now (oh dont worry they might get it back in 3-4 years from now)

But even tho I am an intel fanboy, dont think i hate AMD. I think what they are doing is great. But dont hate the player hate the game. ya feel me?

definetly. i gotta say that i am an amd fan, but ive been using intel my whole life(except for this pc in our office, 754, sempron 3000+ 512mb ram, inte video) and comparing that system to a p4 3.2ghz, that can blow it out of the water. now the c2d, those may beable to beat a fx-62 when overclocked, but what if the fx62 is oc'ed too? with the new quad cores, i think that might be a waste unless all 4 cores can all work on the same thing simotaniously, if not, then its gonna be the same speed, unless there is a quadcore dezigned app.

my athlon 64 3000+ totally blows my pentium 2 400mhz out of the water - therefore AMD rocks! - using bmxfreak logic.

If you're comparing just performance, and don't care about the price, lets get an X6800 and an FX-62 and overclock them. You know which will win.

If you're comparing price/performance. FX-62 = $850, E6300 = $189, the E6300 will easily overclock to FX-62 speeds, you just saved a LOT of money.

bmxfreakrider said:
definetly. i gotta say that i am an amd fan, but ive been using intel my whole life(except for this pc in our office, 754, sempron 3000+ 512mb ram, inte video) and comparing that system to a p4 3.2ghz, that can blow it out of the water. now the c2d, those may beable to beat a fx-62 when overclocked, but what if the fx62 is oc'ed too? with the new quad cores, i think that might be a waste unless all 4 cores can all work on the same thing simotaniously, if not, then its gonna be the same speed, unless there is a quadcore dezigned app.

Oh really?

Stock FX-62, 2MB L2 Cache 27+ second super PI at stock? Idle temperature I would assume is around 40 celcius on stock cooling. Without changing cooling, FX-62s do NOT have good overclocking potential because of the heat the increased voltage causes). This will cost you 700 dollars.

my e6300, 2MB L2 Cache, 29 second super PI at stock(hmmmmmmmm). 32 degrees celcius on stock cooling. Now it is at 2.8GHZ doing super PI in 20 seconds flat and it is still only 36 degrees idle on stock cooling. And I got it for 220 dollars just when it came out.

hmmmm....... Intel won this one, and quad core is just another blow to AMD....

****, starting to think upgrading to a 3000+ right now isn't so good of an idea..

Maybe I'll wait it out a bit... :p When will AMD come out with what we are all talking about..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom