IE7 RC verison problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyouryoku

Beta member
IE7 RC version problem.

Hello all my name is Gabe and I'm new to the forum and yes I have a big problem. I have recently updated to IE7 RC and liking the transition so far. However when I go to the Update website I'm hit with a page that tells me ...

"To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later."

It then proceeds to give me a link to update my IE verison. I have no idea whats going on. I have tried to search the net for weeks now, and I still haven't been able to find anything related to my problem. I need help!!! I recently found out that its not just the Update thats doing that, whenever I use MSN video from www.MSN.com it tells me that I need to upgrade to IE 6. Well hopefully someone can help me but thanks in advance for at least looking at my post.

The browser is in the BETA stage. It's normal for IE to act up, and maybe give error messages at times.

Did Internet Explorer 6 give you issues as well?

thanks for the reply. And yes IE 6 was doing the same but periodicaly, It would show the page and then switch over to the version message again I was able to update to IE7 but quickly clicking on the link as the site came up. But now that I have been using IE7 its been doing it all the time.

You can use Firefox with the IE Tab extension to update your Windows. I know it works because I use it.

thx for the info I just downloaded it and restarted FF switched to IE tab and went to update however it still gives me the same message. Also I have uninstalled IE7 and rolled back to IE6 still no luck there either. I'm wondering if its a virus of somesort with sometype of DoS thing for windows update. I have Norton and TrendMicro however both of them haven't detected anything. Anyone know of any virus like that or maybe a way I can check the registry for this particular problem?

I dunno. I'll move this to the Windows forum, as it seems to be more of a system problem.

Have you tried to reset all the security zones back to there default settings. also the advanced settings??

Thanks trotter for the move I really think it is a system problem now.

ECtech thanks for the info I just resetted all the security zones and in the advanced settings and still have the same outcome. This is baffling to me I consider myself to be very PC savy however this problem is throwing me for loops. Everything checks out in the system info with the correct IE version number but it never makes a transition to the web update or the MSN video players. Also I just found out today that Expedia is giving me the same version error message and doesn't allow me to use its service without updating IE. I personally use FF all the time however I have family who likes to use IE so I want everything to be working fine.

Oh and just a side note. I received a message today while restarting my pc. The message read something like "Themida: secure engine driver can't finish update please restart your computer to continue with update" it gave me a ok and cancel option and I chose cancel. Then Norton picked up a bloodhound32 virus on Oreans.sys in my system32 folder and repaired it. I don't know what that was or if its causing my IE version problem but I figured I would give as much information I can to help you guys try and figure it out. Once again as always thanks for helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom