Install Windows XP, no floppy, no BIOS access

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulinnorway

Baseband Member
Hi,

A friend of mine wants me to do a clean re-install of Windows XP Home Edition. The problems is.....he has no floppy disk drive, and his BIOS is password protected (and he can't remember the password :rolleyes: ). Since I can't get into the BIOS, I can't change the boot order to boot from CD-ROM first.

Any ideas about how I can install Windows XP on his laptop? I'm not an expert at computers, so I'm hoping there is an easy(ish) solution;).

you can always do a CMOS clear with the jumpers on the motherboard.

locate the jumper that says CMOS - either search for it on the board or referance your manual.

when you find it, it should be labled what pins to put the jumper on to clear it.

do it, then put the jumper back to the original position.

this will clear the BIOS

Thanks for the reply CntdwnToExtn.

I found out that he has an external USB floppy disk drive. Does this help, or does it have to be an internal floppy drive?

I'm trying to avoid opening up the laptop if possible.....it makes me nervous:eek:

it a complicated matter. you would need partition magic also.

let me know if you are willing to do it.

you would have to partition your c drive into 2 partitions into 2 parts. then install xp on the second one. then go back and install it on the first one

EricB said:
it a complicated matter. you would need partition magic also.

let me know if you are willing to do it.

you would have to partition your c drive into 2 partitions into 2 parts. then install xp on the second one. then go back and install it on the first one
I'll consider that option aswell. Let me see if I understand what you are saying.......are you suggesting that I install Windows XP onto the 2nd partition, then reformat the first partition and reinstall Windows XP on the 1st partition. Then I could remove the 2nd partition, leaving me with the clean 1st partition.
Does that make sense, or is it even possible? I've never done anything like this before, but I might be willing to give it a try.......assuming that I haven't totally misunderstood you:D.

paulinnorway said:
I'll consider that option aswell. Let me see if I understand what you are saying.......are you suggesting that I install Windows XP onto the 2nd partition, then reformat the first partition and reinstall Windows XP on the 1st partition. Then I could remove the 2nd partition, leaving me with the clean 1st partition.
Does that make sense, or is it even possible? I've never done anything like this before, but I might be willing to give it a try.......assuming that I haven't totally misunderstood you:D.

yep you got it, but it is complicated.

EricB said:
yep you got it, but it is complicated.
I think I'd be willing to try this, although it will have to wait until tomorrow. Will you be able to assist me? I'm familiar with computers but this is a grey area for me. It would be a challenge.
Do you have any links that I could read through in the meantime that would be helpful?
I really appreciate your time and effort.

The usb floppy will work I've done it this way before. It can get a little messy if you have to install raid/sata drivers (some new laptops needem) but You might try this option first.

jorsoft03 said:
The usb floppy will work I've done it this way before. It can get a little messy if you have to install raid/sata drivers (some new laptops needem) but You might try this option first.
That sounds like an easier option, depending on how messy installing the drivers can get. Afterall, I'm not even sure what "raid/sata" means:confused:.
I don't understand what I would have to do if I needed these drivers. I read somewhere that Windows XP doesn't really like external USB drives when doing this sort of thing. This makes me a bit nervous because of my lack of expertise in this area.
If you had a link to an article that would maybe reduce my fear of the unknown.

jorsoft03 said:

I wasn't paying attention. this is an easier option if you download the 6 xp floppies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom