New Athlon 64 FX To Counter Intel In November

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew there was something I forgot in the list:

* AMD is adding a 4th instruction decoder - where all of them can decode complex and simple instructions, in contrast to Conroe's one complex and three simple decoders.

I really can't remember now, but the site showed an X-ray or something of a K8L CPU, compared to a K8 CPU, and it showed a 4th instruction decoder in there.

and doing some reading, I found that the conroe uses 4 instruction decoders; but three of them are for simple instructions and one for complex instructions. but the K8's instruction decoders are for simple and complex instructions

so AMD is going to jump up again? or is intel going to put some crazy beefing in thier core 2 when AMD catches up?

from reading all around the place, it looks like AMD is getting ready to steal the performance crown from not just the Core 2 Duo's, but also the Core 2 Quad's (which are just two Core 2 Duo die's on one chip)

of course we'll have to wait and see what actually happens, but it does look promising on AMD's part.

man, it might be suicide to change sockets again... they JUST switched to AM2 like 2 months ago and now they want everyone to run out and get ANOTHER mobo and $1G chip.... good luck!

which socket are you referring to?
if it's AM3, the AM3 CPU's will fit and run in socket AM2

if it's socket 1207 you're talking about, that is made for servers.

anyway, I've been running on a socket 754 Sempron 2800+ for a while.
it does bottleneck my 7900 GT (especially a voltmodded one overclocked to 750MHZ) though I do plan on upgrading the CPU. probabbly when K8L quad comes out.

kinda makes me sad to see amd out of the race for a while... if they had given better than am2 at the time i would have stuck to them... i'm hoping for good things in amd's future and not just more change of memory...

and socket 1207, i just noticed they started selling cpu's for them on newegg... do they have the same instruction sets as the athlons still??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom