Setting Up Windows, Multiple partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty_Wilcox

Beta member
Hey everyone. I have a question.

I have just formatted my hard drive and am going to install Windows on it again.

I am wondering, is it beneficial to partition my harddrive and install the OS to a small partition (say, D: drive), and save all my documents and programs to another (C: drive)? If so, How?

Also, with this method, I'm pretty sure I have seen other computers (like the ones that are pre-fab from, say, HP or COMPAQ) set up so that the program files directory are on one partition, while windows info is on another. If this is a good way to do it, how do I make Windows automatically choose the partition that I am saving all my information to (make windows save to C: when installed on D: ), when I go to save something from the internet? If this makes no sense, I can try to explain better what i'm talking about.. but hopefully someone will know what i mean. Is this even possible??

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
-Scotty

Windows has to be on C: drive.

I have my comp set up like this, 20 gig Windows partition, 60 for everything else. If nothing else it holds down on fragmentation.

Trotter said:
Windows has to be on C: drive.

I have my comp set up like this, 20 gig Windows partition, 60 for everything else. If nothing else it holds down on fragmentation.

Windows DOES NOT HAVE TO BE ON C:! C: drive is just the default location, which Windows WILL Choose. Although, if you have a Dual boot, Windows Will choose, the next closest drive. I.e. I have a dual boot system, Windows XP Home with Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Home is on my C: drive, and Windows XP is on my D: drive (Depending on which OS I am using, when in Home, it's E: because of my DVD/CD drive and when in Professional it is D: )

Back to subject, If I'm not mistaken "Program Files" directory can be anywhere, just as long as the shortcuts are made to read from that directory, and while Installing software, you will have to specify it, because by default it will be in "C:" drive. Multiple partitions are very good to have, because if you have your OS mess up, and don't have a Windows CD, you can just throw the drive into another computer, mount it, and get the files back. I have my computer set up with 10GB main partition with Windows OS on it, 40GB for software, 20GB for personal documents/important docs, and a 10GB partition for my music files.

Hey, that thread was great. I'm going to try it for sure.

Also, I have an 80 Gb HD, and play games on my PC. Would a partiton of 30 Gb for games, 30 for docs, and 20 for Windows be adequate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom