multiple sata drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJDarknez

Baseband Member
Hopefully this hasn't been covered, but I find it hard to believe it hasn't been. Couldn't find anything in a search, though.

I'm getting ready to build a new PC with a 64 bit processor. I'm pretty sure I have my MoBo and processor figured out, and now I'm onto drives.

Questions is...is SATA chainable like IDE? IIRC, IDE is chainable up to 7 devices per channel. What about SATA? Anyone know the max per channel?

Thanks much!

You can have 2 IDE devices per channel.

You can only have 1 SATA device per channel, but your mobo should have enough ports to connect at least 4 drives.

With SCSI you can have long chains of devices.

Oh riiiiiiiiight, it was SCSI that was 7 devices. Gotcha. 1 per channel, meh. But I suppose if there is 4 channels, then that's not TOO bad.

Thanks!

Questions is...is SATA chainable like IDE? IIRC, IDE is chainable up to 7 devices per channel. What about SATA? Anyone know the max per channel?

nope just one per port as it is a serial interface as opposed to parralel interfaces where multiple devices can be connected. SCSI allows up to 14 devices per channel i believe except for SAS which is naturally one per channel being based on SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom