Used KillDisk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the same error. This time I read what it was loading and it didn't say anything about loading my hdd. How do I make my hdd a fixed disk?

You guys are going to have to correct me if I'm wrong, but after an fdisk, there isn't a c drive, right? You then have to format to create a c drive? God, it's been a long time since I've had to do this, and I haven't done it many times.

Have you tried format c:? Instead of trying to fdisk, see if that works.

Well I am amazed, I turned the computer on w/o a floppy and it booted normally. The killdisk said it was sucessful.

Everything is working fine I guess. I still need to make this hdd like new, do I just reformat it? I know reformatting it leaves behind lots of data. I need something that can be booted to.

Ok I used killdisk again, it turns out I just deleted the partition instead of the whole hdd. I went back and did that and after 26 attempts at fdisk, I tried booting from the Windows ME install disc and I typed fdisk at the a:\> prompt, there wasn't even a boot disk in it, and I was able to repartition my hdd. Then I went and formatted the hdd, now I am installing windows 98 as we speak. I will be upgrading to me once 98 finishes installing because I only have the ME upgrade disc.

damm, I missed a whole thread!

whatever you do, don't rely on a Quantum Fireball drive, they're cheap and not very good quality - i had one myself, that died!
I got it replaced with a 40 gig 7200RPM Seagate

Well it's not really my computer, it's a school computer so it's going to be very cheap.

did you try getting the low level utility from the HDs manufacturer sometimes low levels need to be done with the manufacturers software or that can happen

I was unable to locate the download section of my manufaturer's site. It's ok now, everything is up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom