Befuddling startup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

teddybearman

Beta member
I'm looking for a second opinion on a system that I've been troubleshooting in my off time. I'll start with the basics, it's a Athlon XP 1900+ system on a Socket A462 Gigabyte mobo.

What initiated the system problem was a BSoD, and my girlfriend shut down the computer with the power button. After that point the computer would no longer power up. I don't have the specific error as I wasn't witness to the system crash and my gf didn't know to write that sort of thing down.

I was bad and immediately assumed it was a power supply failure, and swiftly swapped in a new PS; but to no avail.

At this point I could only assume component failure; all the fans in the system start up for about half a second and then immediately stop, the LED on the mobo next to the power connector was lit up indicating there was power, but no power LED on the front of the case.

I've tried taking components out one at a time, including CD-Drives, and harddrives. Still no start up, and no beep codes. I tried removing everything including the video card and ram to induce a beep error and still have received none.

At this point I'm suspecting the mobo has failed, or the processor; neither of which I have an extra of; I'd prefer to only replace the damaged part, are there any extra steps I can take to make sure it's one or the other?

Try keeping it off (power supply on) for about two days without touching, then see if it boots. Also if it doesn't try turning the power supply off hitting the power on button about 20 times fast, flicking the switch on and hitting power a few times. These seem to be temporary fixes to (I think) the same problem that I am also experiencing.

BAD AI said:
Try keeping it off (power supply on) for about two days without touching, then see if it boots. Also if it doesn't try turning the power supply off hitting the power on button about 20 times fast, flicking the switch on and hitting power a few times. These seem to be temporary fixes to (I think) the same problem that I am also experiencing.

Jabbing the power button 20 times won't fix anything. Something is dead, or broken. Doing what you said will only make it worse.

Thanks for the replies; I'll definately see about getting a new mobo to swap in. In regards to rapidly flicking the PS switch, I wouldn't suggest doing that to any computer regardless of what the problem is; it's a good way to toast your power supply, amongst other things. Last thing I want is have to replace more parts than are already broken.

CrazeD said:
Jabbing the power button 20 times won't fix anything. Something is dead, or broken. Doing what you said will only make it worse.

Actually there have been several cases where this has happened to people and I suggested doing that, it always works but is more of a temporary fix. Also how can hitting the power button while the PSU off effect the computer in any way. Unless you have a crappy case and the button itself breaks, it can't.

In regards to rapidly flicking the PS switch, I wouldn't suggest doing that to any computer regardless of what the problem is; it's a good way to toast your power

I never said anything about rapidly flicking the power switch, you just flick it once press the power button several times, turn it back on and press the power button once and it will work most of the time.

take the heatsink off and check the CPU for black marks and/or burns. Clear the case of all free-roaming dust, pull the power cord outta the back and put back in. Try re-powering up. Sounds like the processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom