Blocking startup programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
tea timer or kaspersky lab A/V. you don't want a program that completely blocks all startup items, because most program will add a temporary startup to clean their install files out of the computer and blocking them will cause the programs to not act correctly

EricB said:
tea timer or kaspersky lab A/V. you don't want a program that completely blocks all startup items, because most program will add a temporary startup to clean their install files out of the computer and blocking them will cause the programs to not act correctly

Alright, I have looked around in SBSD and can't seem to find how to turn off the dialouge box, is there anyway I can turn it off?

You can go to run and type in msconfig and then click on the start up tab and uncheck what you dont want to start with windows.

toniaxp said:
You can go to run and type in msconfig and then click on the start up tab and uncheck what you dont want to start with windows.

PAY MORE ATTENTION!!!

__Camouflage__ said:
I.e. MSN Messenger always starts up when Windows starts up, even though I have removed the startup item from MSCONFIG

hve u tried the last 2 methods i gave u thats all i can think of past what i already told u

If none of these ways works, you are doing something wrong

How do I disable Windows Messenger from running?

The procedures for disabling Windows Messenger will depend on the version of Windows Messenger installed on your computer.

Windows Messenger 4.0 or Later on a Windows XP Professional

1) Click Start, click Run, type gpedit.msc, and then press ENTER
2) Double-click the following items to expand them:

Local Computer Policy
Computer Configuration
Administrative Templates
Windows Components
Windows Messenger
3) Double-click on the option "Do not allow Windows Messenger to run", and then click Enabled.
4) Click OK, and then close the window

Windows Messenger 4.0 on a Windows XP Home Edition

1) Start Windows Messenger.
2) Click Options on the Tools menu.
3) Click the Preferences tab, click to clear the "Run this program when Windows starts" check box, and then click OK.

Windows Messenger 4.5 or Later on Either Windows XP Home or Windows XP Professional

1) Click on Start, Run
2) Type REGEDIT and Press Enter
3) Click on the Pluses (+) next to the following items

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Software
Policies
Microsoft
4) If the folder Messenger is not listed, click on the Edit menu, point to New, click Key, and then type Messenger for the name of the new registry key
5) If the folder Client is not listed under Messenger, click on the Edit menu, point to New, click Key, and then type Client for the name of the new registry key
6) On the Edit Menu, point to New, click DWORD Value, and then type PreventRun for the name of the new DWORD value. Remember all of this is case sensitive.
7) Right-click the PreventRun value that you created, click Modify, type 1 in the Value data box, and then click OK.
8) Quit Registry Editor.

How to Stop Outlook or Outlook Express
from Running Windows Messenger When They Are Opened

Outlook
1) Open Outlook
2) Click on Tools, Options
3) Click "Other" tab
4) Uncheck the box for Enable Instant Messaging in Microsoft Outlook
5) Click OK

Outlook Express
1) Open Outlook Express
2) Click Tools, Options
3) Click General tab
4) Uncheck the box for Automatically log on to Windows Messenger
5) Click OK

What about Removing Messenger or Uninstalling Windows Messenger from Windows XP

The procedure for removing Windows Messenger depends on whether your system has Windows XP Service Pack 1 installed. To determine whether Service Pack 1 is installed follow these directions:

1) Click on Start
2) Right click on My Computer
3) Click on Properties
4) On the General tab, under System if the words "Service Pack 1" are listed you have the service pack.

Removing Messenger from computers WITHOUT Service Pack 1 installed

Make sure your Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Windows Messenger and other programs are closed before doing this.

1) Click on Start, Run
2) Type the following (or cut and paste it) into the Run line

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

3) Click on OK

Removing Messenger from computers WITH Service Pack 1 installed

1) Click on Start, Control Panel
2) Double click on Add or Remove Programs
3) Select Add/Remove Windows Components
4) Uncheck Windows Messenger
5) Click Next
6) Click Finish
7) Restart your computer

How to Remove Windows Messenger from Outlook Express

1) Click on Start, Run
2) Type REGEDIT and Press Enter
3) Click on the Pluses (+) next to the following items

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Software
Microsoft
Outlook Express
4) Right click on the Outlook Express folder, click on New, click on DWORD value, and then type Hide Messenger for the name of the new registry key
5) Right-click the Hide Messenger value that you created, click Modify, type 2 in the Value data box, and then click OK.
8) Quit Registry Editor.

What about MSN Messenger ?

MSN Messenger is another chat program from Microsoft that can run simultaneously with Windows Messenger. Follow the instructions below to remove it.

1) Click on Start, Control Panel
2) Double click on Add or Remove Programs
3) Find MSN Messenger in the list and click on it
4) Click on Remove

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom