no boot to hdd without xp disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

manitsme

Solid State Member
Hello I just built my first computer I used a ECS MB 741gv and a amd processor and all went fine and dandy untill I loaded a pirated copy of xp pro sp2 and it loaded fine and all but it will not let me boot to the hdd I have to have the cd in then it will boot to the hard drive. I am wondering if this is a hardware issue or a software issue ?
Thank you for helping me :)

I did install a real version of xp home and it gave me the same problems
I don;t know if it is something wrong with the hard drive becasue the bios is detecting the hdd and the cd rom. it won't boot to the hardrive at all I even went in and tried to do a fixboot and fixmbr with the recovery console
I am hoping I did not get a bad MB
I appreciate all the help

I changed the boot sequence in the bios under advanced options the sequence is hard drive then the rest are diabled becasue I do not have a floppy and I didn't it to boot to the cd rom

i know this is a dumb query but do u have ur hd set to master or do u have more than one hd

hmm I believe the hdd is set to cable select I only have one hdd It is recognized in the bios. for some reason it won't boot from the hardrive it will however run from the hard drive but I have to put the disk in to boot it up.
it runs fine from the hard drive after that
it askes me to boot from cd and then it detects the cd and says push any key to boot from and if I do not push any key it boots up windows
?? weird I know

OK here is some more info that may help .. I had previously had this hdd in a machine that had an intel cpu in it and the MB was shot(ebay MB LOL ahh well i took a chance) and well the one I got is an amd cpu and when I intalled windows there was still another partiton on the hdd . so it was not actaully a fresh hdd. Maybe there is something there that could be casuing the hdd to not boot
?? I am still not convincede it is a MB problem I think the hdd just won't boot .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom