2k/xp vs Vista in regards to compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I run Windows 2000 for games, and Linux for everything else. I was just wondering... I have yet to see a program, application, game, whatever, that's compatible with 2k, but not xp, or vice versa. I was wondering, when vista becomes more mainstream, will that be the same thing for them?

For example... NEW games that come out in the Vista era, will that game be compatible with XP and 2K as well? I mean, isn't 2K and XP built on the same kernel and, almost same everything that makes them backwards compatible like that? Just curious how Vista will fit in to the picture...

I'm pretty sure game and software and developers will maintain backward compatibility with older version of Windows if they want to sell. Since most people will still be on XP while Vista is on the market, it will probably take 1 or 2 more years before everyone upgrade to Vista.

But aside from that, anything on XP will run on Vista as long as youÂ’re speaking 32bit wise. Same for 2000, well not everything from Vista like IE 7 or WMP11, thatÂ’s just M$ trying to get people to upgrade to take advantage of the XP or Vista. Next thing you know, newer version of M$ products will probably only work in Vista, so youÂ’ll eventually have to move towards it and ditch XP. Other than that, IÂ’m pretty sure 95% that other software developers will still maintain backward compatibility as theyÂ’re doing now. ThatÂ’s just my opinion.

yea cause unless i can get a cd key for Vista for free or something i'm not getting it and i might look into Halo 2 (maybe)

welsh said:
I know that when Halo 2 comes out its going to be for Vista only.

That's just Microsoft trapping people into having no choice but to spend money on THEIR products.

At work we ran their annual report... those folks pocketed 44 billion this year. :mad:

I hate to burst some bubbles - but I think Company of Heroes only comes for Vista. I know of some other dev studios who are only going to program for vista. More and more I am looking to move to Linux. Ill game on the console, you get the same games...or just about.

company of heroes? hmm, do they have different ones? The pc version I played for pc, same as or xbox 360 was on xp. Demo version

Vista will be much more compatible than 2k. Having gone through 2k, xp, testig xp...and going home in a couple hours to upgrade vista rc1 to 5728...it just keeps getting better. The only sad thing is the older the game the less stable it runs...but we can get lucky

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom