ECS Memory Timings?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alecjahn

Daemon Poster
Ok this is hard for me to ask, as its one of the few things i dont know anything about... :rolleyes:

But anyway, What exactly are the settings for memory timings on the ECS K7S5A one of our computers has installed?

What link does memory timings have with overclocking, and is it something i can change to get better performance or stability?

Hopefully, someone knows what im talking about... i know that theres timings on memory having to do with clocks etc.. but what are the different selections gonna change?

tanks!

I take it an ECS K7S5A is a PC system? So no clues there as to what memory modules you have fitted.

You'll be limited in your O'Clock attempts with memory by a few factors:

1. If your BIOS won't let you change them your pretty much stuck.

2. If you have cheap 'no-name' memory sticks - chances are you won't be able to clock much if any.

3. If your mobo lets you up the VCore of the RAM then this can help

The settings you refer too are tweaks into the way the system addresses the memory locations packed into the RAM modules.

CAS is the most common (Column Address Strobe) if you have DDR RAM you can try moving from CAS2.5 to CAS2.

Often the BIOS will just say something like 'Failsafe' 'Fast' 'Ultra' etc. Be ready to reset your BIOS via mobo jumpers when you tweak these settings, as well as making your Windows positively flaky, RAM test is part of the BIOS POST and WILL hang your PC.

If you have an AMD you can tweak the FSB to make the RAM faster - Do remember to always tally this with the divider to keep the PCI bus at about 33Mhz.

Although the PCI can be tweaked, this will also speed up hard drives etc AND more mportantly it drags the whole of the Northbridge along with it -INCLUDING the rather tweak intolerant AGP bus.

I played the Overclock game for years and bust more stuff than it was worth for the 1 second improvements.

hth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom