Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty090

Baseband Member
Well, I posted my memory limits and now here are my CPU limits so far..

I am running FSB at 240 X10 (2400 FSB)
Mem divider at 9/10 so 432mhz

Played with many settings and just cant get it to boot up when I go past 240fsb. I changed the mem divider to lower to rule out memory not allowing me to go further. I am NO where close to warm on the CPU at these settings, just cant get it to boot at anything higher.

Any other thoughts?

i got mine up to 2.64. i reformated yesterday and reset the cmos, i think i got some spyware or something, it was bogging down (i know the cmos was unness, but i like to start w/ a clean slate). i'll be gettin up there again by the end of the week.

set your memory to 166MHz instead of 200. i was the same place about a month ago, trying to get to 2.5 GHz. Did you up your voltage at all? i didnt need to till i got to 2.6

Yeah I tried cutting the ram down farther but the chip itself just wont go. Last night after posting I played much more. I set the multiplier down to 9.0 and got up to 260mhz and from what I could tell at the time seemed stable. I tested it and ended up with a lower benchmark than 240 at 10.0 with ram at 9/10.

With these settings I was able to get close on benchmarking but it was a lot of playing to not manage to get any farther..

I think I need to get some 600mhz Ram. My mobo with the latest bios update now lets me put Ram to FSB +33 or 66 so I should be able to get the ram right up to 600 with the chip still at 240ish.

I cant think of anything else at the moment.. (FX-60 and 600mhz DDR) but that's cheating ha ha

sorry to post off topic in ur post but i was wondering what kind of cooling you were using i have the same proc and wanna oc to hte point u r

there is no point using the feature of your motherboard that runs the memory at a higher frequency. as near as i can tell this feature was only ever invented for compatibility issues or as a gimmick. you won't see any improvement as the bandwidth will be bottlenecked to the HTT speed by the memory controller on the processor. try increasing the Vcore

my recommendation to you, smitty, is reseting your cmos and starting over. you dont need to change your multiplier. i did notice that lowering the HT did make oc'ing more stable as i climbed. i was able to nudge it up afterwards.

just up your voltage to the next higher setting, lower your ram to 166MHz, and start bumping up your FSB, you will be to 2.6 in no time... just take it slow when you get over like 2.3.

it took me like 2 weeks to go from 2 to 2.6 and my computer thanked me afterwards. everyday just bump the fsb 1-2 MHz. you'll be ther in no time.

an51r: I'm using Coolermaster Mini80 (cheap wc system :/) smitty is using the Zalman CNPS7000B Heatsink/LED Fan (its in his sig)

you should be able to oc quite a bit w/o aftermarket cooling, u just gotta be more careful about watching your temps, especially under load conditions!

Thanks guys, a couple of great things to try there.

Nitestick... How did you manage to get your RAM to 475? I have the OCZ Platinum and cant get it past 430-440?

an51r said:
sorry to post off topic in ur post but i was wondering what kind of cooling you were using i have the same proc and wanna oc to hte point u r

1. This isn't aim talk. Use english. It's not that hard. See?

2. Although cooling plays a big role, if anything your ram is the deciding factor as well as your stepping/week on your 3800.

Nitestick... How did you manage to get your RAM to 475? I have the OCZ Platinum and cant get it past 430-440?

it's a perk of owning the memory with the old school Winbond BH-5 chips. i've had these running at least as far as DDR510 2-2-2-5. the chips basically scale with voltage i.e. if i can keep them cool enough they will run at up to 4.0v and the clock speeds will go up with voltage. don't try upping the voltage on your memory as most memory DOES NOT have much tolerance for it and you should be more experienced before messing around with it. i only run it at DDR475 because i have to use a divider as it doesn't run DDR520 (yet ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom