Since my previous thread got hijacked and closed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulater6000

Daemon Poster
"I am currently a citizen of the U.S.A. and am living in Alaska.

I have been considering moving out of the country just for a couple of months next summer just for a change, and I am really interested in Canada just because it has a similiar climate and land as where I live. Also I have heard it is a very nice country with a good economy.

So I would like advice (espeacialy from any TF canadians) about what it is like in Canada and If I should go live and work there for 3-4 months next summer.

Also how much would it cost me per month (rough estimate) to live in canada; and would it be easy to find an ok job?"

So final verdict...

Stay in U.S. or move to Canada?

"Oh maple leaf, eh?..."

Move to Canada..... I don't know how, just go.......

Cali and NY are good for vacation (if you like to waste lots and lots of money...) I've lived in both of those places.... That would be the worst two choices in my opinion....

Opinion is all it is... Do not crucify me on the cross.... It's just an opinion....:confused: :cool:

Ya, sorry that your last thread had it's demise:D

Anywho, I can vouche for Canada being a pretty good place to live. I live in Edmonton, Alberta. The job market here is pretty crazy. There is so many available jobs here. Every place seems to be short staffed. This is largely due to the oil economy here.

Housing here is a little more expensive, however. Since there is a shortage of workers, houses can't go up fast enough, hence the prices getting high.

The climate here is reasonable if you are used to Alaska. This summer was hot (upwards of 35C/95F) on a few days. I'd say an average day in the summer is between 15 and 25C (59 and 77F).

Winter is usually around -5 to -15C (23 to 5F) and bottoms out at around -25C (-13F).

A lot of people from Alberta (or the rest of Canada for that matter) that are looking for temporary work go to Fort fort Mcmurray. That is where the big oil sands projects are. If you go there for work, you will likely find yourself grossly overpaid:D I've heard of people working there for a number of months and being able to take the rest of the year off!

What type of job are you looking for?

I should probably just let you know that most areas that have the same climate and geography of Alaska probably aren't ideal places to live, or rather, they won't be very interesting and won't have very many oppurtunities

EH

But to summarize:

Most of Canada's economy is centered in Alberta, Ontario and Quebec, and to a lesser extent BC maybe

ulater6000 said:
"I am currently a citizen of the U.S.A. and am living in Alaska.

Also Houses differ from province to province, i bought mine 2 years ago for 165 000$ (well my parents did) 1200 sqr Ft. we probably made 50 000 - 100 000$ within those 2 years (keep in mind this is CDN $$$)

I have been considering moving out of the country just for a couple of months next summer just for a change, and I am really interested in Canada just because it has a similiar climate and land as where I live. Also I have heard it is a very nice country with a good economy.

So I would like advice (espeacialy from any TF canadians) about what it is like in Canada and If I should go live and work there for 3-4 months next summer.

Also how much would it cost me per month (rough estimate) to live in canada; and would it be easy to find an ok job?"

So final verdict...

Stay in U.S. or move to Canada?

Its not that similar with climate, We have extreme temps where i live it goes up to 30-38 Celcuis, in the winter, it went to -50 with windchill (Celcius) pretty intense but that happesn like once every... 10 years, last winter only went to minus 20 -28 Celcuis.

Also, my province (Alberta) has crazy oil deposits and stuff, each person in my province, go 400$ for the money we paid in taxes (no one really knows why) anyways it didnt matter how old u were... u got 400$ (my little 2 year old cousin).

Alberta is debt free. and were having another surplus, WHICH MIGHT result in another rebate checks or just random stuff - work on schools recreational facilities and all that good stuff

And, U LIVE NEAR THE MOUNTAINS (There pretty sweet actually pretty warm in summer too + Snowboarding :) ),

ALSO, we just got taxes cut, we only have to pay 6% per $ now (used to be 7, withing next 2 years conservative party says its going down to 5%) there is still tax cuts of checks, just the GST got cut down (so if ur buying a car u save a penny off every $)

Depending on how old u are, U can go work in the oil rigs or something and make good money unless ur older, but im hearing stuff of companys wanting employees SO BAD there willing to pay for the travel of their goods/furniture so they can move here.

I say, live in canada :p Alberta is good (Any other province u have to pay PST and that meants 13% taxes WITH GST so 6%GST and 7% PST)

Anyways, i could go on and on but yeah... im good.

(Legal drinking age is 18, and u can get ur drivers liscence when ur 16)

Hope that helps u make ur descision :)

Elbatrop1 said:
Anywho, I can vouche for Canada being a pretty good place to live. I live in Edmonton, Alberta.

WOOT SAME! E-Town :p (I live in the same city as a mod... so i can kill him if he bans me :p ) jk man lol

LOL

Stay with the USA. There's a lot more of it than Alaska, California, and New York.

Come down and try the South. A little warmer than what you are used to, but mild winters. the cost of living is pretty low, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom