random shutdowns

Status
Not open for further replies.

digijin

Solid State Member
Hi Everyone,

I've been tearing my hair out over my stupid computer for about 2 weeks now, please someone help me, the computer is a XPC shuttle, AMD 4400+ dual core cpu, 2 gig ram running win XP Pro, its only about 3 months old and was bought brand new.

my computer randomly shuts down, if I leave it off for a day then when i turn it on it might last 1-3 hours before it decides to shutdown, it can take as little as 5 minutes to turn off if I dont leave it long

When it shutsdown, the monitors turn off and the computer just stops... no warning whatsoever, doesnt try to reboot, no debug details or anything when I restart it, doesnt even ask to go windows safe mode.

So far I know its not overheating, I have completely replaced the ram, I have booted it up into dos and other non-windows stuff and it has still shutdown (so I think its not drivers or software issues)

At the moment I'm at the point where I'm trying to plug it into different powerpoints because I cant think of anything else left to test, someone please help me, I'm so behind on work deadlines from this and all the clients are complaining bla bla bla and I dont know what to do im at the end of my rope

thanks for your time anyone

James

Hey Man,

Apparently the PSU is new (according to friend who made computer), and to make everyting more complex I took the computer back to the dude who made it for me, and we looked at it for hours and ran all kinda tests and it didnt shutdown once while it was at his place (altho we got some ram errors, so he gave me his ram and took mine)

anyway, before i took the box to his house, the computer wouldnt stay on for more than 10 mins, and after I took it to his place, and brought it back, it stayed on about 6 hours before it shutdown. So taking it to my friends place made it want to stay on for longer (which is why im trying to plug it into different powerpoints)

thanks for your help so far, how do I check my voltages? is there anything else I can check? is there some way to see if it is psu?

thanks,
James

ill get the link in a few. if the pc is new, there are voltage meters in the mobo, and u can monitor the dc side voltage. now if the pc shuts off at ur house, and not at his, its an ac problem. have you tried surge protectors, every outlet in the house, taking everything off of that circut and leaving just the pc on it? that might make a diff, ur wiring might be shotty(like mine, i got a extenstion cord from my bathroom)

hi

I'm using surge protected powerboards, I havent tried different powerpoints yet (was planning to do it tonight- im at my day-work now).

I was a little doubtful that it was power source, but if you're having the same issues then I spose its a chance thats it.

thanks for your time! ill let you know how I go tonight. If you can think of any other tests im interested to hear. thanks again!

James

Hi

hah by speedfan i thought u meant install a new fan for a while :)

I'll try the program.

I'm not sure if im running 110 or 220? is that a voltage? I'm a programmer, I know software not hardware :p

James

huh, iono alot about 220, so it beats me. my best bet would be the psu, or the cpu might be goin, but it working at a diff house, then its gotta be a bad power source. did he use his own power cord? if he did, ur power cord might be bad, so try simplest first, and move to a different outlet, and if no help, try speedfan, if no irregularities, there are some temp sensors on there, if all that normal, then run memtest86+ if still no probs, then it sounds like it might be the mobo goin out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom