First time building a computer, need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhpb

Solid State Member
Hello,

I will be building my first computer during the next two months. I have the specs, but I have a few questions. The specs are:

CASE: ASPIRE X-Navigator ATXA8NW-AL/500

PSU: ENERMAX EG701AX-VE SFMA 924p) 600-watt

CPU: ?

Motherboard: ?

Ram: Rosewill 1GB (2 x 512MB)

VIDEO CARDS: ?

OPTICAL DRIVE: Plextor PX-740A

FLOPPY MITSUMI USB2,0 & FDD Digital Card Reader FA404A/404M

HARD DRIVE: Western Digital Caviar SE 320GB, Serial ATA150

SOUND CARD: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic

OS: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2

The reason I left the CPU, Motherboard, and Video Cards blank, is because I'm not sure what to get. I got these specs from the Fall 2006 PC Gamer "Ultimate How-TOs for Gamers" because it was a rather cheap set up, but it had an Asus mobo, socket 939 processor, and geforce cards. My only problem is, I hear that Radeon cards are better, so I was wondering what Mobo I should get that would fit a Radeon and the CPU that fits the Mobo. Also, if I were to get dual Radeons, what kind? I was thinking two X1900XTs, or is one enough to max out games like oblivion and have less pop up foliage? Or should I just stick with the dual 7800s they used? I also saw a DFI lanparty but that was a rather expensive, so any suggestions for those parts would be helpful.

Thanks.

PS. I'm on a budget of about $1,500, maybe a little more though.

I'm on a budget of about 1,500 - 1,700 dollars. I think I might do a single Radeon X1950XTX.

Check this:

CPU- Intel Core Duo 2 E6600- $320
Motherboard- Intel BOXDG965RYCK- $117
RAM- 2GB (1x1GB) DDR2-667 or 800- $250
Video Card- HIS x1950XTX- $420
Power Supply- enermax is good
case- same
hard drive- make sure its the SATA 3.0gb/s one

that would be a **** of a gaming computer

nhpb said:
I'm on a budget of about 1,500 - 1,700 dollars. I think I might do a single Radeon X1950XTX.

Would be an excellent choice for a single GPU / Card. Then again, one might bring up the fact that DX10 cards should be available sometime in early 2007. So, do you go for the $450-$500 videocard now or buy something that will get you by... then blow a load on a new DX10 card.

As far as CPU/Motherboard goes... The C2D's are pretty popular and reviewed in very high regards. May-be the C2D E6300 and the ASUS P5B Deluxe? That's just over $400 for those 2 components. Do a bit of overclocking.. You'd be set for a few years there. Pick up a nice 2GIG set of some DDR2 800 for like $250. A decent size HDD like 320GIG for like $95... The rest is really up to you...

But, yeah... lot's of decisions...

I'm kind of a newbie here, but looking to build a gaming comp soon. Hearing a lot about the DX10 cards, however I'm not too familiar with the DX10 cards, can someone explain to me what the difference is between the DX10 vid cards and the present DX9 cards? Thanks.

i would actually get a EVGA 7950GX2 and use the step up program when DX10 comes out if you want dx10 that is, if not you still have a very high end graphics card thats basically two in one. i like the x1900xtxs but not the 1950 i dont see much of a diffrence to pay more for it, but thats just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom