Honest AMD vs Intel Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, what he said. (except i didn't know how to say it)

Good guide though. Its not noob unfriendly. for the most part I have no understanding of what happens inside a CPU and I got it.

I think we should make everyone read the myths section.

Nice guide nitestick

Something you might want to add...what is the difference between "64 bit" and "32 bit" and is the AMD 64 a true 64 bit architecture? is the Intel Core 2 Duo 32 or 64 bit? You say the AMD 64 is more effecient when compared to the P4, I've heard that's because of the 64 bit pipe as compared to the 32 bit pipe. How does 64 and 32 bit's compare to your guide?

Core 2>Athlon 64=Core>Pentium 4

Incorrect, with my Athlon 64 X2 3800+ running at 2.6Ghz, I got a 34 second SuperPI 1M. On my Core Duo T2600 2.16Ghz, I got a 28 second SuperPI 1M. It's more like:

Core 2 > Core > Athlon64 > Pentium4. :)

The e6300 is 193 if it hasn't changed. The e6600 is $320 so the price has gone down considebly. The next thing that needs to cheapin is the motherboards.

KingAustin said:
I would say a 3.2ghz HT is low range... Sucks how much I spent on my 3.2ghz P4 system a little over a year ago, but I have my new system now and love it :)

bum said:
Athlons actually have a higher fsb (HT) and they do get more done in less clock cycles. I used to have a p4 prescott and it was horrible for gamming, it wasn't smooth and it would overheat and need to shut off. Now I have an amd Opteron an love it because everything runs smoothly unless its a gfx card thing.

There are alot of reasons, but I for one have had both and greatly prefer amd over intel.

i wouldnt say Low Range at all.... not sounding like im just trying to defend my old p4 here, BUT every1 dogs on p4 and says they SUCK at gaming and there horrible at this and that.... this is CRAP... i get tired of hearing this... ive owned both AMD and P4 and i prefer intel... not a fanboy just like them for some reason... but anyway my p4 3ghz plays ALL games out now including FEAR and BF2 on MAX... with all setts and everything at 40+ fps... so they do their job they dont suck.... AMD does have a better cpu... BUT P4s do not suck... games rely on ur RAM and Video card the most... cpu does play a role but ur vga is most importan...

nitestick said:
well give me about 30 minutes and i'll be posting a guide :p

lol - i was planning on posting a response, but after I read this, I said, "Yeah, that would be a very long post."

I hope nitestick does a guide, because it would certainly be worth the read.

EDIT: Well, I looked through this thread again and see that nitestick did put on together.. and i was right. worth the read.

BuddyRo said:
There are alot of reasons, but I for one have had both and greatly prefer amd over intel.

i wouldnt say Low Range at all.... not sounding like im just trying to defend my old p4 here, BUT every1 dogs on p4 and says they SUCK at gaming and there horrible at this and that.... this is CRAP... i get tired of hearing this... ive owned both AMD and P4 and i prefer intel... not a fanboy just like them for some reason... but anyway my p4 3ghz plays ALL games out now including FEAR and BF2 on MAX... with all setts and everything at 40+ fps... so they do their job they dont suck.... AMD does have a better cpu... BUT P4s do not suck... games rely on ur RAM and Video card the most... cpu does play a role but ur vga is most importan...

I never said that my P4 system sucked, all I said is it sucks how much I paid for it back then compared to what I'm paying for now and how much better it is now. I'm well aware of what it takes to play a game well.. and yes my P4 system did just fine since I had 2GB of pc3200 and my x800pro treated me well. I dont believe you can play fear and BF2 on max settings with 40+FPS however, so you should probably stop lying there.

Now, about the "low end" comment. I would say P4 is now low end considering what else is available. Most athlons are better than P4 as well as everything else AMD offers like opterons and such, obviously Pentium D's are better than P4's, and now the core 2 duos kill the market. I'm not really sure what would possess someone to buy a Pentium 4 system anymore except someone who doesn't know anything about computers. Therefore, Pentium 4=low end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom