Dual channel capable, for which Amd sockets??

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamezKangster

Baseband Member
Hi, Im sort of confused with dual channel...is it based on the cpu capablility or ram capablilty and for which amd sockets? A technician at best buy told me that my board was a 754 socket, but a label on my computer says its "dual channel capable." Also a program called cpuz verified my socket was a 939 http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=124192 need to find out because I want to upgrade my processor to a dual core, and I ant open my computer because of the warranty so I cant lift the fan and verify the socket for myself. Thanks..guys, also if you guys want to try to find the socket my computer is an emachines t6534 (model number)

Dual channel is dependent of the mb. And besides us doing the homework for you, you go do it yourself next time. Just google it. Which you pretty much you already answered everything yourself. Yes your pc does support dual channel. The question I have for you is how much RAM do you have? In your sig it says 1024MB but in the link you provided, and the basic Emachine standard for that computer is 512MB. So which is it 1024MB? or 512MB? 2 Sticks of RAM or 1? Consult you MB manual when Inserting the Memory in the slots, but I say that slots 1 and 3 will do the job for Dual Channel. Make sure that the memory is the same type. Hope this helps GL.

Dual channel is dependent of the mb

sorry, that isn't entirely true. dual channel is dependant of the memory controller. on Athlon 64's and Opteron's that is integrated into the processor. of course part of the compatability relies on the motherboard but for the most part it is the memory controller.

now the guy at the store is an idiot, clearly your motherboard is s939. it doesn't take much to find it is indeed s939 from the info you provided

history time. Socket A first supported dual channel, though only with the Athlon XP or later. that depended on the motherboard entirely as at this point the memory controller was still on the motherboard. s754 had the memory controller built into the processor however the "IMC" (Integrated Memory Controller) was still a work in progress at that point and could only support a maximum of 3 sticks of memory and no dual channel. s939 supports dual channel.

edit: bluntness of post removed, sorry RumbleNJungle

No not wrong, just depending on how you wanted to view it yes it comes down to the MC. No need to start your post by pointing out im wrong when all in all thats wrong. But yes we know your system is socket 939 and it in fact does support DC. James are you planning on uprgrading to dual core still?

RumbleNJungle said:
And besides us doing the homework for you, you go do it yourself next time. Just google it. Which you pretty much you already answered everything yourself.

In that case, what is the point of a Forum?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by RumbleNJungle
And besides us doing the homework for you, you go do it yourself next time. Just google it. Which you pretty much you already answered everything yourself.

CrazeD said:
In that case, what is the point of a Forum?

Whats the point of you asking me 'Whats the point?' When it comes down to it there is none for you.

On a higher note, yes the forum is designed to educate, inform and have fun. But there also comes a time where one needs to answer these questions on his/her own and educate their self.

Any more challengers? Please dont turn this topic into anything personal.

Cheers GL. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom