Strange booting issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shmootill

Solid State Member
Hi all, I recently built a new system, and am getting erratic booting issues. Sometimes when I boot/reboot my comp gets locked up before the POST. It seems to happen more frequently if I had recently rebooted before. I always know it's going to happen when I can actuall see/hear the computer lose power for about .5 seconds. It clickes off automatically then quickly restarts, and gets stuck at black screen before POST. To remedy, I have to remove the plug, press power to remove excess charge, then try again. It usually works after this. But, since I am frequently rebooting remotely, this causes a problem. Also, when installing the latest mobo drivers from gigabyte, at the end of installation it asks me if I want to install a certain type of IDE driver that gives better hard drive performance (sorry I can't be more specific), but when I reboot after that install, I get BSOD (too quick to read actual message) followed by automatic reboot, I then have to revert to "Last working configuration" on windows boot menu. Should I be using gigabyte's driver, or Nvidia's driver? System specs to follow, thanks in advance.

mobo= Gigabyte Nforce2 GA-7NNXP
AMD XP 3200+ Barton
1GB Kingston DDR 3200
Nvidia 5900XT 128MB
On-board audio
* Updated bios, latest drivers except for above mentioned mobo driver issue.

sounds like a bios, power supply, or a memory problem. sorry i can't be more detailed, but i would have to see it. I know that the 3200 RAM has been having some issues lately, so maybe that's the problem, but i'm not entirely sure. i don't think it's the HDD or any of the peripherals, but then again, i may be completely wrong. sorry i couldn't offer too much help.

Re: #3

It's been going on since the build, although, it happens much less frequently if I haven't been tinkering inside it, so I'm not too worried about it at this point, I just think it doesn't like to be powered on/off frequently. (that normal? seems logical). What I am worried about is that no Nvidia drivers will install correctly. I install the chipset driver, the Nvidia splash screen pops up, it extracts files, prepares to install and at that point it just quits back to desktop, wher in EVERY other install program will show you install progress and then usually ask you to reboot for changes to take effect. Same with the Nvidia audio dirvers. The morons at Gigabyte tech are telling me that's normal.
Quote:
"If you already have an older motherboard / audio driver present, the install won't ask you to reboot"

Meanwhile, when I try to access the Nvidia sound mixer it says something to the effect of: "to use this program you must have version 3.xx of the Nvidia installed, your current version is 0.0".
So anyhow, I am trying a clean install of XP, and I'll see what it does. Thanks for the reply, I'll keep you posted.

Shmoo

Edit: I have a 420W PS, should be fine right? (2 HDD 1CDROM, 1 Firewire DVD +/- RW) 6 Fans.

Well, fresh install let me install all the problem drivers, and fixed the boot issue with an "open case" warning setting in my bios. Have narrowed my issue down to my RAM. See my other post if u think u can help. "Curse of the 2 RAM chips".

Shmoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom