Honest AMD vs Intel Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmitchell73

In Runtime
Ok, now I know I'm not all knowing with computers, but I know quite a bit having built a few of them. One thing has been bothering me though;

I know that there is a considerable difference with 64 bit cpu's, but what is it? I'm sure there must be some reason why I see so many people preffering an AMD64 @ 2.2+ ghz over an intel @ 3.0+ What kind of difference is it? Overall speed? How would I have to use the computer to be able to notice the difference? I always thought the more ghz and fsb the better, then how come AMD's seem to always be one step behind intel? I never see an AMD @ 3.4 ghz.

Anyway, sorry for so many questions, but I'm really curious...

AMD's Athlon64 is much more efficient than the Pentium 4 line. They can do much more per clock cycle, than a P4. The new Core 2 Duo's from Intel are ever more efficient than the Athlon64.

From what I understand 64 bit processors allow you to run 64 bit applications (like the 64 bit version of windows). What this actually means in terms of everyday performance... I don't know. I don't even know how many applications are 64 bit right now (I think Vistas will be?).

As far as why someone would pick a CPU with a lower specified Ghz or FSB... there could be many reasons. One thing to know is that the performance you are going to get out of a CPU isn't necessarily determined by Ghz and FBS alone. Part of the problem is with the way each company decides how the define speed. In the case of AMD ghz specs vs. Intel Ghz specs, I have always understood that while AMD lists lower Ghz (i.e AMD 2.2ghz vs. Intel 3.0), their processors do more per cycle then Intel processors. Thus the Intel processor would be running quicker clock cycles with less information per cycle and AMD would be running slower clock cycles with more information per cycle.... but at the end of a given amount of time the actual work done by each processor would be about the same. As a marketing strategy, knowing that the general public put such a high value on Ghz alone, AMD put a tag on their processors that supposedly gives a Ghz rating in "Intel" terms. So the full (marketing) name for that AMD64 2.2 ghz you mentioned is AMD athlon 64 3500+ 2.2ghz... with the 3500+ tag telling you that it is running at roughly 3.5ghz in "Intel" terms.

Of course, most of this has changed now... what with the dual-core craze and all... but I assumed you were talking about the P4/AMDAthlon thing.

Yea I was talking about the P4/AMDAthlon thing, its amazing how fast they come out with newer and faster CPU's. 2 years ago, a 3.2ghz HT was high end...now it's about mid range.

bmitchell73 said:
Yea I was talking about the P4/AMDAthlon thing, its amazing how fast they come out with newer and faster CPU's. 2 years ago, a 3.2ghz HT was high end...now it's about mid range.

I would say a 3.2ghz HT is low range... Sucks how much I spent on my 3.2ghz P4 system a little over a year ago, but I have my new system now and love it :)

Well Amd had there day for the "Gaming Cpu" Market... Now its Intel's Core 2 Duo's... Even the cheapest one when overclocked can out peform a AMD 64 FX-60... Now thats impressive

I predict AMD will have the lead again within a year. With the release of their K8L chips (hopefully mid 2007), this is going to make the computing world very interesting :)

Athlons actually have a higher fsb (HT) and they do get more done in less clock cycles. I used to have a p4 prescott and it was horrible for gamming, it wasn't smooth and it would overheat and need to shut off. Now I have an amd Opteron an love it because everything runs smoothly unless its a gfx card thing.

There are alot of reasons, but I for one have had both and greatly prefer amd over intel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom