Hard drive in another computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlege

Baseband Member
alright guys my laptop completely went dead on me and i bought a new one.. i am going to put my old hardrive in this computer... should i be concerned with drivers and such that arnt meant to support the newer computer or should it not be a problem

yes because of important school files and rendering programs are already installed in the old hardrive

its a better quality HD Western Digital and it will save me many hours of loading and configuring programs

You WILL have to reinstall Windows on the harddrive or it will BSOD everytime. My suggestion is to put the harddrive in, find yourself a Linux LiveCD or something, and backup to pendrive/tape drive/server/whatever you can backup to. Then, reformat and reinstall.

alright so i guess its not as easy as just installing the hardrive.

i do have most of the programs backed up on my desktop (reason i built the desktop)

so i put the hardrive in and run Linux LiveCD what will this do... enable me to view the files on the HD? and then back it up to my desktop through a thumb drive?
where will i get linux live cd....

or could i get an adapter for my desktop and read the drive directly to that

macdude thankyou very much for your help.. i wll try the knopper first then try to spend money on an adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom