Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

24giovanni

Banned
If I have a netgear firewall, McAfee anti virus, ran all MS updates for my machine, run spybot once a week, check for updates and run Ad-aware every other day.... is that enough of a safety valve to prevent viruses? Responses are greatly appreciated.

I'm not pro but I do all of the above and I still get viruses. New viruses are being created all the time, it's hard to keep up to date by the minute.

What lazerman said is true, new viruses are constantly coming out. But, if you keep your AV definitions up to date, your spyware up to date and excercise common sense.. you will be ok.

HoLoCroN said:
What lazerman said is true, new viruses are constantly coming out. But, if you keep your AV definitions up to date, your spyware up to date and excercise common sense.. you will be ok.

I havent gotten a virus on my computer in years. Wana know my secret? Dont open things unless you know what they are!

Dont open things unless you know what they are! I agree, if you have NAV, even you receive email attached with virus it will scan then alert you then you can delete before downloading it.

the only way to completely prevent getting virii is to never connect your computer to a network or transfer any file from a computer that is connected...

24giovanni> the methods you stated should be effective but there are always exceptions...

"Dont open things unless you know what they are!" That is the best way... but there may be an infected file that you open because you know what it is...
ie: getting an expected email from a friend that contains a new virus...

ChaosBlizzard said:
I havent gotten a virus on my computer in years. Wana know my secret? Dont open things unless you know what they are!

Chaos,

This attitude will save you loads of headaches but like mentioned before, the days of getting a virus just by opening an email are long gone. Now... virii are much more interactive and smarter.. all you need to do is open up the wrong web page and boom.. you are infected and you will never know it (Unless you stay current with the AV definitions). I just wanted to mention this because it really pays to be proactive instead of reactive when it comes to your system integrity and virus infections. Hopefully those out there will take heed and update their systems with some sort of AV software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom