WHYYY!? stupid computer wont play videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

COD2_fanatic

Daemon Poster
I have a feeling my video card is dieing or something, this started about 3 months ago but, i just put it off. When ever i try and play videos the computer locks up and my monitor goes into a "clicking" fit. I just now reinstalled windows 2000 (had XP but the disc screwed up so i had to use 2000) and i figured it would solve my problem but it didnt change so i have gotten past the prediction of it being software related and have narrowed it down to my video card.

I have latest Drivers for everything aswell, ANY help would be appeciated as i just got my DVD drive and i really want to watch freakin videos.

ask for anything else you need to know

anyone? i usually get some sort of response by now.

EDIT: appearently the new Nvidia drivers are messed up and causes the sytem to not play videos, i'll back date them to older ones and see what happens

a note on my edit, that old drivers didnt work

when i was using XP i used Windows Media Player which would completely lock up my computer, and now in 2000 i'm using Intervideo Win DVD 7 and luckly i can manage to close it and not have to hard reboot my computer

EDIt: this happens in video files as well as DVD's the only thing that ever worked were some AVI i recorded with FRAPS

Download Knoppix, try playing a video in it. Let's get this straightened out as to whether its drivers or hardware.

ok, i've got the download running on utorrent so it'll take a while (hmm maybe not from the speeds i'm getting), as of right now i've got an older video card in (Geforce 4 MX 4000) to test and see if anything happens (i also took out my sound card and am in the process of getting my sound chip drivers (intergrated)

You've eliminated the fact that it could be the video files are corrupt, no?

You've played different files from different sources and that all have the same problem, right?

yes, but i've played many different types and the odd thing is if i streamed it form something like you tube it would work, but anyway i'm now able to play videos with my odl Geforce 4, i'll try the 6600GT later, kinda weird though

You know, I'm having a similar problem. I just installed a Geforce 7600 MS a few weeks ago and I haven't been able to play any type of video on any player since then. The computer doesn't freeze, but it slows drastically and CPU usage goes up to like 99%. It's very odd.

well some how mine mananged to fix its self by putting in my older card for a while and puttin gmy normal one back in as well as using older drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom