Help with Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi and once again sorry for the delayed reply.

I think you will have changed the RAM settings... as they are set to auto... so will automatically change when you change your FSB. Im not totally sure in your case though... as we still dont know what the RAM multiplyer / ratio is. - - -> Some motherboards dont allow you to faf with these settings... if you cant find it then im confident that that could be the situation.

In which case.... it makes going further quite tricky. . .

SO... you have tried everything that you can to get your machine faster with what you have it seems. But we can not be sure what the limiting factor is. Is it the RAM... as it cant run at the requested speeds or is it the CPU's natural limit.

Next step... find out what the limiting factor is.

a) You are running 2gig of ram... but with 3 sticks. Are they all the same make / speed? - For instance if you run a 1 gig stick of 400Mhz with 2 sticks of 512 at 333Mhz... the "RAM" can only go as fast as the slowest part (333). Therefore reducing the speed of the 400mhz RAM to 333 - - annoying.
If its all 400Mhz... which you can check by looking on the side of the ram... then thats a good start. The reason for this is you should now try underclocking your RAM.

So.. if your ram is 400Mhz (which i think it will be) then change the auto setting to 333Mhz. - - - Now when you overclock the CPU if it was the RAM that was struggling it should overclock further... as to get the RAM to its maximum will take a higher FSB. (Hope im explaining this OK)

However.... the tricky part is that we dont know the multiplier / ratio. So it is impossible to know what we'd be asking of the RAM when overclocking... and therefore there is potential for causing damage to the RAM. Saying this we didnt know it when it was set to "auto"... so i guess just work round it? ? ? - in small increments.

If it clocks to the same speed... then the answer is that your CPU has hit a wall. . .
But what kind of wall? - Heat? Voltage? Physical limit (unlikely).

Most common limiting factor is heat as im sure will know. So to get more speed . . spend a bit more on a better heat sink. - If you only have stock cooling now it may be limiting your o/c potential.

What are your current running temps by the way under full load at 3.4 gig?

Max

under load, maybe 50 c. Idle around 40c

I not really confident in my RAM, it doesnt have any heat spreaders, and its SAMSUNG...not sure about that brand for RAM. Are you saying that my RAM could be holding back my CPU overclock?

Its possible that the RAM is holding back the CPU overclock yes.

Try what i said and set the RAM to 333 (if it is 400Mhz ram that is) and underclock it.

Then try overclocking your CPU again.

Those temps are ok - is it stock cooled?

Yeah believe it or not its all stock. The temps havent risen at all, I could turn it back to 2.8 and nothing would change, its weird. Ill take a look at my ram, and try and find the MHZ.

Heres my exact ram.

http://store.alphapcstore.com/sa51dd32.html

I have 1 stick of GB, and 2 of 512 MB. It says there 400 mhz.

Turn them back to 333mhz to increase stability also what are you using to monitor your system temps? I have found that software monitors dont always do a good job of acuratly reporting system temps as do hardware tempurature monitors so you might want to be carefull with that.

To get system temps, and set fan speeds i use ' speed fan '. Its a good little program that allows you to control fan speed would you believe!

- - So did you try underclocking your ram? Has it had any effect on your CPU overclock? - -

Well I turned my RAM down from 400 mhz to 320 mhz. So what exaclty am I doing when I do that. Will it hurt my performance in any way? Is it harmful?

Well I turned it back, my computer froze while I was burning a dual layered disk (those cost me $2.25 each, wasted). Oh well. Ill keep it at 3.4 ghz for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom