Need help! 2x 256MB 7950GT or 2x256MB 7900GT better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdsrope

Baseband Member
Need some help! Making a building but would

dual 2x 256MB 7950GT in SLI™ Configuration

or

dual 2x 256MB 7900GT in SLI™ Configuration

be the better choice??

or also would it be wise to dish out an extra £200 for

dual 2x 512MB nVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX- nVIDIA SLI™ Configuration

Please advise on the 7950GT or the 7900GT selection and also if its worth dishing out the extra cash for dual 7900gtx.

Thanks in advance!!

Also sorry to ask but is dual 2x 256mb 7950GT cards better then one single 7900GTX card?

The 7900GTX in SLI would perform better out of the three options. Yes 7950GT in SLI is better then one single 7900GTX. And no it's not worth dishing out the extra for dual 7900GTX, with the DX10 cards coming out soon.

I would just buy a EVGA 7900 GT (or 7950 GT) and then use EVGA's step up program and get G80 later this year. But if you can wait I would recommend waiting till the R600 is released in Jan/Feb 2006.

I wouldn't go SLI at all at this time. DX10 cards are right around the corner, and your investment will be a pretty poor one. Also, SLI isn't exactly the most efficient multi-GPU solution [not that there is one]. Expect no more than a 25% performance boost. Just wait and grap a G80 or R600 based card in a few months. It will last you much longer.

The 7950GT is basically a slightly underclocked 7900GTX. Though SLI is generally not worth the money. I'd go with one 7950GT, personally.

If you need one right now go with the 7950 as you can really only tell the difference if looking a benchmarks but can't really tell a difference in real world apps

If you can wait get one of the new G80 cards when they come out

Spartan said:
I wouldn't go SLI at all at this time. DX10 cards are right around the corner, and your investment will be a pretty poor one. Also, SLI isn't exactly the most efficient multi-GPU solution [not that there is one]. Expect no more than a 25% performance boost. Just wait and grap a G80 or R600 based card in a few months. It will last you much longer.

Problem is that im buying an system that is already built for me of the net. so I only have the dual options as they only offer dual graphic card choices and not the single ones :( so i have 2 go for SLI as its the only choice they have.

Orayn said:
The 7950GT is basically a slightly underclocked 7900GTX. Though SLI is generally not worth the money. I'd go with one 7950GT, personally.

Not an option for me :(, the system im buying only offers dual graphic cards or the single 7900gtx but all other graphic cards they offer is dual. the dual 256mb 7950gt is the standard cards they offer in SLI configuration. so i have 2 go for SLI since its the only cards they offer and not an single 1, dunno why tho :S

nitestick said:
ever considered.......not buying from this place? SLI is a waste of money. for that matter if you are interested we can help guide you to build your own

Yea true i understand what your saying and that was my first choice but ive had a bit of a bad experience with building me own system before (didnt reconise the memory i installed, then the cpu wouldnt work with the motherboard and so on...)
So i thought id go for a ready made system plus it has a warrenty with it so its not bad.

Heres the specs of the system, I mean its a really good price i think (Considering im in the uk, dam prices higher here :( )

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 Dual Core Processor(2.40GHz,4MB Cache,1066MHz)
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
Aluminium ATX Midi Tower + 550W PSU - Black
ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe PCIe Mainboard - Pentium® D/Core™ 2 Duo - ATX
2048MB DDR2 900MHz Memory -( 2x 1024MB Kit)
300GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
16x DVD-ROM Drive (40x CD-ROM)
LightScribe Super Format SONY 16x Dual Layer DVD Writer +R/-R/RW/RAM
2x 256MB nVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT - nVIDIA SLI™ Configuration
19" SONY SDM-HS95PR TFT LCD Flat Panel Display -DVI-D (8ms)
DVI connector Cable
7.1 Channel Surround Sound Audio (on-board)
Creative Labs Inspire T7900 - 7.1 Surround with Subwoofer
Logitech Cordless Keyboard & Rechargeable Cordless Mouse
Free Microsoft® Works® 8.5 + 60 Days Microsoft Office Trial
Free Cyberlink Video Editing Suite - 7 titles (oem)
10x USB 2.0 Ports (onboard)
2x IEEE1394 Firewire (onboard)
1x Gigabit LAN (onboard)
Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter - External (F5D7050UK)
External 36-in-1 USB Card Reader
Premiere Warranty - 3 Years On-site-Parts & Labour-T&C

All above including the monitor, speakers and shipping all for £1459.99

Thats why i thought ill go for this system but it only offers the sli graphic cards or the single (Price for the 7900gtx is the same as the dual 7950gt).

What do you reckon about the system? worth the price for that, which has the sli dual 7950GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom