Major Software Problem with PC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KNiGHTMaRe89

In Runtime
Hey guys.

My brother's pc has a cracked version of Norton Firewall 05 and a Symantec Corp. Edition of Antivirus. He deleted 05 because he wanted to install Firewall 03. Once he deleted it, he restarted the PC and was given to error messages. Avoiding the messages he tries to install Firewall and once he starts the d/l a Windows Dialog Box comes and says Starting and it stays there forever. The program does not run. The error messages given were: Norton cannot find NSProd and the other was NS(something).dll. He called me and up told me about the problem. I checked it out and came up with a few logical steps before we attempt anything serious. We deleted all files which were associated with Norton, Symantec, Live Update etc. We then cleaned up everything with those names in the Registry and MSCONFIG. I also was told by a friend to delete Antivirus also. So we deleted everything involving Symantec Corp Edition in the files, add/remove, msconfig and regedit.

So, we restart the PC and wow, what luck. We have no error messages and everything seems to be running smoothly. We insert the Firewall cd. We start the d/l. It downloads normally. He goes to start the program and a Norton dialog box pops up and says that Norton can not start properly because neccessary files cannot be found. He restarts and this time it says Norton cannot run because a Virus has been found on the computer.

I have asked a few tech friends of mine and we are all stumped on to how to solve this problem???

anyone have any advice for me and my bro to try out there before we fdisk it??? haha...thanks alot...

Alex

Contact Norton. You may need to edit some dll files. I had to manually create a couple when I installed NIS 2006. Their tech support was pretty quick to get back to me and the instructions worked perfectly.

Norton is the worst firewall you could choose.......this is because

1. It costs money
2. It is notoriously unstable
3. It hogs system resources
4. There are more secure FREE firewalls out there (zone alarm/comodo)

I would suggest looking into a different firewall for better security and stability.

Look at symatecs website. they will have a program to completely remove all norton products. Then install zone alarm or any firewall besides norton and you will be ok.

We can't give you any support if you are using a cracked/hacked/bootleg version of software. Go to a software company, buy their product, and come back soon :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom