Physx???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjgoku24

Baseband Member
What is the Physx gpu? Is it any good, does it compare to geforce or ati? Just want to know if it is anything to look at.

It's not worth looking at unless you have alot of money. Physx gpu just adds more eye candy to the graphics of the game. Theres no performance increase...just makes things act more like they should, for example a glass will shatter like it should in real life.

First, its not a GPU, its a PPU (Physics Processing Unit).

Second, since its a completely different animal from a video card, you cannot compare it to nVidia or ATI.

There can be a performance increase because it takes the job of processing the physics effects off of the CPU. Assuming you have equal settings with and without the card, the PPU will increase performance.

Here is a better description of what it is

http://ageia.com/physx/titles.html]Here is a list of games that support and use the Physix card[/url]

Here are some videos of what it can do.

Vybuni said:
[BSecond, since its a completely different animal from a video card, you cannot compare it to nVidia or ATI.[/B]

As of now you can't; but soon, since ATI especially is jumping on the PPU/GPU bandwagon, you can compare Ageia to ATI and maybe Nvidia.

As of now there isn't enough games that support it to justify the price tag. Don't say it won't increase performance as of now untill more games support it as games that use UE3 has physx integrated into it. And it will offload physics from the CPU onto the PPU.

RIght now I think teh only gamed that use it are PREY and Advanced Warfighter, no? The big release that will have PhysX support is UT2k7.

I think physx units dont really do much good unless they are paired with a good GPU to begin with such as a 7600 or higher thats just my two cents but I dont think it does much good for glass to shatter like real glass if the GPU cant make it look like glass in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom