Motherboard Gone???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streetz

Baseband Member
I started to put together my new build. It's my first one and I'm afraid I may have messed up my motherboard already.

I've been working at it all day because the computer just wouldn't boot up, but the status light on the motherboard was lit. I started disconnecting pieces to figure out where I could have gone wrong. The last time only 5 things were plugged in. The 2 power connectors for the motherboard, the harddrive and the chassis front ports (switches and speakers). I plugged the power cable in, turned on the PSU and pushed the power button, there was a spark and smoke at the top of the motherboard. I tried to attatch a picture of the thing that the spark came from, but the attatchment was too big, and tried 3 times until I gave up. What I'm wondering is

1) Is the motherboard totally gone now?
2) Was it something I did, or was the motherboard possibly bad?
3) If it was me, what did I do wrong!?
4) Do I have to buy another one, or could it be replaced?

Thanks everyone for all your help!!! I'm freaking out at thinking I just trashed my new mobo and need to purchase a new one again!

Also, I guess I should mention it's an ASUS P5W DH mobo.

For anyone who has one, or can find a picture so you know what I'm talking about, on the motherboard above the processor are three little black boxes that say "RIO R47". Above each of them are little black squares. It was the third square (farthest to the right) that the spark came from.

as you mention a "spark" at the bottom of the motherboard i would take a safe guess that the board is fried, if it still has a warrenty just RMA to get a replacement, i would also pay special attention to the CPU as it may (but may not have) fried to (hopefully you're lucky and it didnt)

Yeah, I quickly removed the processor and inspected and everything looks like it should. I hope no hard was done!

It better still be under warranty, it just came today:) I'm just praying to god that warranty will cover it! Thanks for the quick response.

if it just came today it is more than likely still under warrenty, and just becasue the the CPU doesnt show any external damage doesnt mean something could be wrong, but the only way to tell is replace the board and test the CPU again

if you have a spare compatible board, test the CPU in that. im currently in the process of trying to figure out wether my shuttles PSU blowing up affected the CPU/MOBO - thats how im gonna do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom