What brands are best for laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping to find a deal on one, usually around christmas is when people start trying to sell some of their stuff, or when people are moving overseas or going to Iraq (military town). Though I wish I could just build my own, but even thats expensive too.

I imagine that when the C2D Macbook Pros come out, lots of people will be selling their Core Duo ones. :)

(Me! :p)

The General said:
Cool, Apple designed them and Asustek built them. Two great companies. Waste of money? I think not. Find a "PC" laptop with the same features as a MacBook Pro, for the same price or less, that isn't a flimsy plastic piece of crap. Nice generalization too: If the laptop is made by Toshiba or Asus, you can stick a Core 2 Duo in them. Nope. Incorrect. MacBook Pros - remove a few screws, put bigger harddrive in, ram, etc. But as any sane person knows - you don't upgrade laptops. It's as simple as that. You get a laptop that suits your needs, and when it stops suiting your needs you sell it to someone with less needs, and buy a new one.

Sorry you had to go and post your flamebait, but I think I did pretty well in not flaming.

...Any sane person CAN upgrade ram quite easily.

Changing hard drive, you got a video tutorial on Cnet .

And I don't find alot of laptops a flimsy plastic piece...why? Well even if my 98 Toshiba is still working quite well, handling Windows XP Prof.

Anyways....I don't know what feature apple laptops offer that pc is far away from aside from the built in camera, but that's it.

Then again I dont know much about laptops.

You can get a faster alienware for the price of an Apple. I donÂ’t understand where all your money is going in those things. I would say Ibuypower is a good brand if you donÂ’t mind non big name brands. Toshiba has cheap pre built systems that are good as well. If you want an all around computer from a big name company I would go HP. Dells seam ok but there components are cheap and there built like crap.

I would strongly recommend staying away from Apple of all things. They are way over priced, upgradeability is limited and everything apple is overpriced as well. For pure power to price ratio an apple computer falls way short. There quality might be slightly better then others (not all) but it doesnÂ’t justify the price tag by any means.

Conroe said:
From what I understand the X1300 uses 64 onboard and 64 system "hypermemory". The X1400 (at least from what i understand) has 128 megs onboard and uses 128 system. Its like 1/4 th the power of a 7900GT but still plays basically any game out there with reasonable settings. Im not a huge gamer so it should serve me well

If im wrong please let me know.
Okay it looks like you're right, the x1400s I saw at Dell all had a 128/128 split for the memory. I was justing looking at their site 3 or 4 weeks ago and I swear that wasn't the case, even the 1400 only had 64mb dedicated. Just make sure this is the case when you buy your lappy, click the "learn more" button and it'll give youa break down of your choices including memory.
The x1400 is a midrange card as far as laptop graphics go, there are some slower options and some faster ones. Should be fine as long as you're not trying to run Fear or Oblivion totally maxed. Just make sure oyu shop around at a few other places to guarentee you're getting the best price. I'd check HP, ABS and Avadirect and see if you can get the same thing for less there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom