Unkown items in device manager making pc break

Status
Not open for further replies.

bahferretboy

Solid State Member
Hello there,
all of a sudden the sound has stopped working on my packard bell easynote e3/e5 laptop.
I've tried system restores from many different restore points, but it keeps saying it cant do it. No reason.. it just, cant do it.
Ive checked the device manager and it has 2 yellow exclmation marks in the sound and video section, both of which are listed as Unkown items.
When i try to uninstall/reinstall the items, i get a message saying the items were not intended for my platform and it quits installation.

Ive now tried getting both the new ac97 patch, and the one i used when it worked last time, both of which havnt done anything.

Ive had a couple of messages about winmm wmd's and kernel audio splitters but still no resolve.

Ive gone to the packarad bell website and downloaded the new respective patches, including the realtek audio driver and the realtek wmd update but still no sound.

This is disgusting, Ive been trying to fix it for 3 days solid.

Is there an ymore info i can give?! Does anyone know what I can do?

Oh and when i try to play videos, obviously the video plays fine, but just without sound. When I try and open volume control i get an error message saying theres no mixing device on the system so i should go to add hardware, but of course everytime i do that, it either says theres nothing wrong and doesnt fix anything, or it says theres something wrong but it wont fix it. Brilliant.

I will love whoever can help me out of this sticky situation!! :p
:mad:

if those dont work, may sound alil harsh, but go and get a external usb hdd and back up all ur stuff on it, and reinstall whatever os u got on it. if that dont help, then theres a problem within the "hardware" and its not "software" related. oh, u can also go to add new hardware wizard, that sometimes works. what os u usin?

Thanks for the links.. although the first one was too complicated for me, and the one i was looking for on the second seems to be a dead link :p
video controller? Im not sure what you mean but the display adapter is a Via/S3G Unichrome pro IGP.
And in the video controllers section, I have Legacy Video Capture Device, Media Control Devices, and Video Codecs.

Do they help at all? None of them have any yellow exclmation marks though. The thing is, sometimes when i boot up the laptop, there are no exclamation marks in the sound and video controllers section, but other times, there are. But even when there arn't any yellow icons, the sound still doesnt work and I get the same problem and messages..

and as for formatting.. I am getting quite tempted.. I seem to be running low on memory these days anyway :p

Thanking you for the help people!! :D

is the audio turned up? i've ran into people who done this stupid mistake (no offence), also make sure it isnt muted

oh dear oh dear oh dear..

ok I just tried doing a complete format, since when has that not solved a problem??!
Anyway I still have the same problem. I've downloaded all the new drivers and still theres no sound. And when I try to open Volume Control it says there are no audio mixers installed.. but of course everytime I go to add new hardware it doesnt fix anything.

Any help on anything?? again?:p

Hello you :p
Ive had some trouble trying to figure out exactly what chipset i have, Via related.

And this link you give me seems to direct and.. focused :p
do you know something i dont know? Can one assume that this is the answer ive been looking for?? (is just checking befire he downloads)
:D

Hey man,
yeh I've got every update apart from a internet explorer one, but im on firefox, so that should be ok.
This is madness.
i dont know if something seriously wrong has happened, as Ive just opened my folder of old drivers that I used to have before everything went bananas, and even these dont seem to be fixing anything.

Ive tried a few via video drivers, but im still getting choppyness while windows boots up.. ah man :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom