Disk Consistency Check ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

j4mes_bond25

Baseband Member
Now & then, I've been getting the message when starting the PC up that "one of your disk needs checking for consistency" & then it scans taking little long time.

I'm on Windows XP & has FAT32 partition.

Should the message worry me or should it simply be ignored ???

Let it run. If it finds something post it and we'll try to help out. FAT 32? Why? Did you do an upgrade from 98 and not format to NTFS? You can still go to NTFS if you want to with no problems. But you can't go back.

superdave1984 said:
Let it run. If it finds something post it and we'll try to help out. FAT 32? Why? Did you do an upgrade from 98 and not format to NTFS? You can still go to NTFS if you want to with no problems. But you can't go back.

I wish to to NTFS myself. When I bought the PC 3 years back, it already came with FAT32 with Windows Home Edition, so never had NTFS. Would it prove rather beneficial over FAT32 ??? What's the EXACT difference & in performance of these two, in layman's term ???

superdave1984 said:
http://www.ntfs.com/
They explain it better than I could.

Thanks for that. It helped in having good grip on the differences between FAT32 & NTFS.

In the MS-DOS mode, when I type:

CONVERT C:/FS:NTFS & press ENTER, I get a message asking:

Convert cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Convert may run if this volume is dismounted first.
Would you like to force a dismount on this volume ??? (Y/N)

What does that mean ??? I was only using the Internet at the time.

you have corrupt files. back them up and then reformat (use powermax in my signature to wipe zeros to the drive). then install windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom