Want to pull info off HD of dead laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamorford

Beta member
We have a laptop that the stem for the power broke off and will cost more than it is worth to fix. We purchased an external enclosure for us to be able to pull off the info from our hard drive. After connecting this up to our new laptop via the USB port, we can not access our personal folders (we get an access denied message). I understand this is for security purposes so the personal info canÂ’t be pulled by someone else. Is there a way to enter our passwords to be able to access this (now external) hard drive. Both the old and new laptops ran Windows XP.

right click _> sharing and security

click the "security" tab

click "advanced"

click "add"

click "advanced"

click "find now"

choose "everyone" and click "ok"

click "ok" again

put all ticks in the "allowed" column

click "ok"

click "apply" then "ok"

now you should be able to access the folder
if not, repeat process but with your current user name, instead of "everyone"

if that still doesn't work, after you go to security -> advanced

go to the "owner" tab, click your current user name

check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"

then click "apply" then "ok"

Thanks for the reply...the only tabs I get from clicking "sharing and security" are General, Sharing and Customize. On "Sharing" I am not given the choice to hit "advanced". Any suggestions?

maybe you'll need to log into the administrator account

do you get the "welcome" screen?
if so, press ctrl + alt + del at the welcome screen, and type in "Administrator" as the user name
the password will be whatever you set it to (if you didn't set a password, it should be blank)

*edit*
if you don't get the welcome screen, just do everything except for ctrl + alt + del

thanks...I got to that point...but am now trying to figure out what my wife set as the password...she can't remember...

I just figured it out:

open My Computer
go to Tools -> folder options
go to "View"
at the bottom, uncheck "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)"

apply, then you'll be able to see the "security" tab when you follow the steps in my first post

Thanks...Of course Murphy's law would state that I don't have that option under My Computer, Tools > Folder Options, View

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom