Trouble recognizing second hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddyred

Beta member
Hello all,

I recently bought a 250 gig hard drive. I was previously running a 40 gig. I am trying to run the 450 as the slave, and the 40 as the main. When I have the 40 gig hooked up to the ribbon cable as master, and the 250 hooked up as slave, neither are recognized. When I only hook up the 40 gig it boots fine. When I only hook up the 250 gig it boots as far as it will go. (there is no os on it.) Any help is greatly appriciated!

Have you tried to place the 250Gig as the master and the 40Gig as the slave? Product should come with the ribbon for the master and slave hook up.

Hello, thanks for all your replies.

I tried switching the jumpers around again, and setting them both as masters. Right now, two masters are recognized as being connected in the bios. However, I am getting a HDD error on the same screen that detects the hard drive. So basically, the bios are now saying something is hooked up, but not recognizing what it is. Could this mean I need to update my bios? Is it a problem with the hard drive its self? Thanks in advance for any help.

well, there is no slave right now, its two masters. I did what nite stick said, and that worked as far as the bios awknolaging that two hdds are set up. But when the bios displays the make and model of the 40 gig, it fails to find that information for the 250 gig. It instead just reads hdd error. Any thoughts?

I'll explain exactly what is happening

as I load up I see this

Auto-detect pri master: ide hard drive
Auto-detect pri slave: not detected
Auto-detect sec master: ide hard drive
Auto-detect sec slave: not detected

information about first hard drive is here, at the end it says status ok

sec master hdd error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom