P4 prescott or Pentium D

Status
Not open for further replies.
"any particular software for watching things or is motherboard monitor the best ?"

Doesn't matter that much. Make the boot disk and run Memtest every time to make sure it's stable, and beyond that, very little matters. Just remember to go slowly-- you can hurt your hardware by going too fast. Heaven knows I've done it before.

" hey dan how would i go about overclocking my core duo... i got a dell e1405 @ 1.83ghz???"

Same deal. Make a boot disk, then go into the BIOS and start raising the clock speed slowly. I warn you, though, that Dell mobos aren't known for their overclocking abilities. Once it starts freezing or restarting, don't push it farther, just back off.

Dan

Get a Intel Core 2 Duo E6400. Beats any processer. When overclocked even better. Has a good 2Mb Cache. Dual Core.

@ bronxblaza117, you mind making your own topic?

@ gmanych, he already got an E6300

@ talisman, have a look in the BIOS
press del or F1 to enter the BIOS setup (during bootup, the key you use depends on the motherboard)

your overclocking options will be there, probabbly under advanced settings or something

I'd suggest putting a memory divider of 5:6 on, and raising the FSB to 333MHZ, making a core speed of 2331MHZ
the memory divider at 5:6 will keep the RAM at DDR400 (200MHZ, which is what your RAM is designed to run at)

if that works, you could then try putting the RAM divider at 1:1 and putting the FSB to 400MHZ (the memory divider at 1:1 will still keep your RAM at DDR400)
that will make a core speed of 2800MHZ. the C2D may be able to run at that speed, though it depends on each CPU. you might have to increase the core voltage.

i could only get to 300mHz bus speed. The bios won't let me go higher. (range is 66mhz-300mhz).

this is as much as i can get

cpuz.gif

well it would make sense.. the C2D has a different FSB.. plus, the board would also be backward compatible with the Pentium 4's/Pentium D's

and C2D is designed for DDR2; the memory controller would be different

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom