HDD brandname 0,o

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobmitsuo

Baseband Member
ok, so im looking to buy a HDD to use purely for storage. So speed is not that big an issue... my current rig only supports IDE anywhos. so yea, just looking for a recomendation on what brand to go for.... seems hitachi and maxtor have two models currently being sold on newegg at ide133 500gb... how are the brands? are there any other models i should look into 0,o

You should look into Seagate and Western Digital, the two best brands of HDs. Hitachi and Maxtor are not that reliable.

I second the recommendation for Seagate or Western Digital. Do not buy a Maxtor. I've been through seven of them this year. They are terrible.

Yeah, I've had a lot of problems with Maxtor HDDs. Right now I have a 200GB Seagate Barracuda, and I love it.

Samsung is an alternative choice to WD & Seagate... they seem to be quieter, and just as reliable, also prices are about the same.

I like WD too, I have a IDE 120gb 5400rpm hdd thats 5 years old and has gotten alot louder, it whines like a raptor now which is annoying. The hdd will click sometimes, especially after days of not using it, but will stop after a few hours, which is a reason I chose the Samsung.

Oh my god, Im so sick of hearing "Maxtor is terrible, dont buy Maxtor". Speaking from personal experience, Ive had six over the past years (consecutively, adding to my raid box) and have NEVER ONCE had a problem with any of them. Not even a bad sector. ****, Ive got ten year old Maxtors in my closet that still work fine.

Second, Seagate owns Maxtor, so wouldnt that automatically make Seagate bad too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom