P4 prescott or Pentium D

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks i'm downloading it.

i have the jumper set on the board to allow 1067 fsb cpu and have ddr 400 pc3200 in dual channel (2gig).

cpu-z shows the cpu bus speed as 266.8 mhz and the ram as 199.8 Mhz .

Also what is the equivalent processor speed on the e6300 in terms of single core eg a P4 or a Pent D. A mate reckons it is about 2.7gig, sounds low to me but what do i know.

cheers

I would guess it's a single-core equivalent to a 3.6Ghz P4, maybe a 3.8. But the real genius here is not the single core speed, but how they work together. It also does more instructions per cycle, which make sit difficult to compare, and certain extensions can be handled that could be handled before. Add to that the fact that it's a 64-bit processor, and you're really comparing apples to oranges.

Dan

ta,

'scuse my ignorance yet again but if it's a 64 bit processor should i be running applications etc specifically for 64 bit cpus ?

this is the results of running that test.

CINEBENCH 9.5

Tester :

Processor : Core 2 Dou e6300
MHz : 1.86gHz
Number of CPUs : 2
Operating System : Win XP Pro

Graphics Card : Nvidia FX5500
Resolution : <fill this out>
Color Depth : <fill this out>

Rendering (Single CPU): 311 CB-CPU
Rendering (Multiple CPU): 572 CB-CPU

Multiprocessor Speedup: 1.84

Shading (CINEMA 4D) : 358 CB-GFX
Shading (OpenGL Software Lighting) : 1409 CB-GFX
Shading (OpenGL Hardware Lighting) : 1684 CB-GFX

OpenGL Speedup: 4.70

i know the gfx card is crappy but it's enough for my photography.

That's decent--just slightly better than a Pentium D 960 with the same configuration. A processor which is, by the way, $350-400 USD. Now, time to do a little overclocking. :-D

Dan

that was my next question...

how do i go about that the safest way for the max gain...

In the mobo bumf it mentions overclocking.

Now bearing in mind the mobo, the std DDR ram etc.

I also have a zalman on the cpu.

My old asus p4c800 has a utililty called AI Booster which helped overclock but other than using something like that i am a newbie.

ps. so you reckon the set up is good then..far better than the p4 3.0 gig prescott ?

I am just installing all my gfx stuff (photoshop cs2, nikon nx etc etc) after the clean install so i'll get a better feel for things once i start processing images.

But it looks like your Video Card is a major bottleneck. I have a Radeon X1600PRO 256MB GDDR2 PCI-E video card on my Athlon 64 3400+ system, and I'm beating you on some of the benchmarks. Get a decent video card and you'll see those numbers go up a lot.

Dan

The setup is massively better than any P4. In terms of overclocking, just go into the BIOS and raise the clock speed slowly -- maybe 5mhz at a time until Memtest throws an error.

I think C2D start at 266mhz, but I'm not sure. In any case, you can start by bringing it up to 320mhz, and then go up from there. If you have trouble at 320 mhz, drop it down to 280 and start increasing by 5mhz, but it should do fine at 320. I've heard some people stable at 500, and others who couldn't keep stable over 350.

Anyways, good luck.

Make this bootable CD for testing:
http://www.memtest.org/download/1.65/memtest86+-1.65.iso.zip

Dan

thanks great help.

any particular software for watching things or is motherboard monitor the best ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom