Porting old hard drive into new computer - can I keep all my current data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navaros

Baseband Member
I plan to port my current hard drive with Windows XP Pro OS on it into my new computer.

I have read that when you install a new motherboard, you must reinstall your OS.

Would this be the same as "installing over" my OS without changing motherboards? For example, any time I reinstalled over my XP Pro OS on my hard drive in my current computer, after having reinstalled XP Pro it would 100% retain my registry, programs, files etc. etc. as they were before the reinstall started. In other words, I didn't lose any data whatsoever.

Or will it be equivalent to formatting my drive if I reinstall the OS with a new motherboard?

If it is the first situation and my data is retained, then would that change if I install a different revision of XP Pro than what I had originally installed onto the hard drive?

You can put the old HDD in your new computer and see if it works. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I'd say 60%+ chance it will work.

If it doesn't, you can install XP "over" it; your files will be kept, but your Windows profile will be backed up in a new folder called "username.bak" or something; same with your "My documents" folder.

Installing a different version over the old version may not work, except when you are upgrading from Windows ME to XP for example.

that's not entirely true, one of my present hard drives has been in 3 different boxes already. Everytime it booted like nothing happened. If You install a new OS i'd backup everything anyway just to be on the safe side.

Bruce said:
that's not entirely true, one of my present hard drives has been in 3 different boxes already. Everytime it booted like nothing happened. If You install a new OS i'd backup everything anyway just to be on the safe side.

Yea, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I used 1 install for 3 systems. Installed on MMX200, moved to P2-400, then moved to AthlonXP 1600+ and it always booted.

If it doesn't work, a checkdisk or repair install often works.

TheMajor said:

Installing a different version over the old version may not work, except when you are upgrading from Windows ME to XP for example.

What if it's a different version of the same OS?

Ie: Originally I installed Windows XP Pro with no service packs on it, but then I move my hard drive to a computer with a new motherboard and install Windows XP Pro SP2 over that?

Would that lose my data or should it retain the data same as a typical reinstall?

I don't think it'll work if the comp's like a dell or hp. White boxes seem to work mosta the time.

Navaros said:
What if it's a different version of the same OS?

Ie: Originally I installed Windows XP Pro with no service packs on it, but then I move my hard drive to a computer with a new motherboard and install Windows XP Pro SP2 over that?

Would that lose my data or should it retain the data same as a typical reinstall?

Dunno, maybe it works. Backup your important stuff to CD's or another hard disk, and try upgrading Windows. I presume the version without service packs is a pirated copy, otherwise you could install SP2 using Windows Update.
If your current installation turns out to boot fine in the new system, i would not try to re-install. No need for SP2 except for a few programs, and some security.

I've been using XP Pro without service packs for 4 years and never had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom