Simple Lan Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCoffee

Fully Optimized
A friend of mine is having trouble connecting 2 PCs via a router, its doing my nut to be frank.

When you try to connect to a share folder or drive on either of the computers it either comes up with a message saying the network path cannot be found or something about user type not having access.

both network cards are installed ok and have TCP/IP Protocol set to obtain IP and DNS automatically, File and printer shareing Enabled, client for microsoft networks and QoS packet scheduler.

both computers are running XP Pro and the logged in user accounts are administrators.

Effective permissions for everyone group are allow full control.

Ping is nill packets lost.

both PCs can connect to the internet ok via the router.

Neither computer is using simple file sharing.

Both have the some workgroup name "MSHOME"

all firewalls and security software is off.

the annoying thing is that both PCs can connect to a third PC on the network.

Edit: It doesn't matter that passwords are not set for the user accounts does it?

I'm positive i've followed the correct procedure, i've even googled guides on networking XP pro, not that I really need to.

The only thing is my friend ran the network setup wizard on both computers before I got there, I don't normally use that.

Ok so you could ping..that's good. Now you need to check the local security policy for each XP Pro,

These three setting are important

"Access this computer from the network" Make sure 'Everyone" is listed

"Deny access to this computer from the network" Make sure "Everyone" is not listed or any other group that you might consider valid.

'Deny login locally" The guest account should be here, you want to limit it to only file sharing.

Then in computer management, check that the Guest account is enable, this account is not the same as in Control panel/users. This account is used specifically for file sharing.

nice one, you hit the nail on the head there law, the guest account was listed in "Deny access to this computer from the network".

took it out and everything is fine :)

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom