backing up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

molsen

Do work.
backing up and partition q's

I've been feeling nervous about the permanence of my data lately. My PC has started acting weird. Weird startups, slow shutdowns, etc., etc.....so I figured it's time to reformat and and reinstall Windows before something major happens and I have no control over my data.

I ordered a 2nd 40gig hard drive today so I can back things up. I'm especially nervous about the music and photos that I have...much of which cannot be replaced. Better safe than sorry!!!

Anyways, is the best way to backup Windows settings through the built-in Windows backup program under My Computer > Main (C:) > Tools ??

Windows XP Prof.
3700+ @ 2.55ghz
1 gig RAM @ 212mhz
40 gig HD

When I reformat, is it possible to create a partition on each of the drives in a striped RAID array solely for Windows, then the rest of each drive not in RAID?

Also, say I have Windows installed in its own partition, while programs, music, photos, etc. are in a seperate one. If I reformat the Windows partition and reinstall it, how do I go about getting programs back on the Start Menu and getting various drivers reintegrated with Windows? Or do I just need to reinstall all of that...

well i needed to reformat ANYWAYS... so I just went ahead and did that. I had everything backed up already, so it wasn't too big of a deal. I didn't feel like messing with a buncha stuff to get rid of this virus when I was just gonna reformat soon anyways.

I just made a 10gig partition for Windows. Programs, music, pics, etc. are in a seperate partition and/or drive.

cool, well i already formatted and everything. yea, i just backed up manually. i copied all the installation files for programs and any serials onto a CD. then i transfered pictures, music, and videos to my new hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom