Overclocking E6600 - Bios DDR2 settings AUTO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max2559

Baseband Member
Hi and thanks for taking the time to read this.

My setup:

Gigabyte GA 965pDS4
Core2Duo e6600 2.4Ghz (with stock cooler running at a constant 1700rpm giving a steady 23deg cpu temp on idle... ((a nice surprise!))
2x1gb Geil 800mhz 4.4.4.12 DDR2
X1900XT ICEq3 (running at 640mhz clock and 730Mhz mem) - conservative o/c... its new and expensive ok... if its sweats.. i start to!
Epsilon 600W PSU... the beast that ATI used to test this card... and by all accounts a bomb proof PSU.
2x80 Gb Samsung spin point SATA in RAID 0
Akasa Zen case with 2x 12cm fans (F/R)
1xDVDRW, 1x200GB Maxtor ATA
Win XP home 32bit

The question...

Would like to bump up the FSB on this E6600. It is at present doing 266Mhz with a multiplyer of 9. Giving a 2.394 Ghz Speed.
In bios i have to set the DDR2 multiplier up. On other boards i see ratios... guess this is sort of the same thing.

With the FSB doing 266 i set the RAM multiplyer to 3 to get the 800mhz performance. (Auto setting leaves it at 667Mhz)

So... if i change the FSB i need to change the RAM settings. .. otherwise i might be asking too much of the RAM.

- - If i set the RAM to "AUTO" in bios am i then able to rely on the board working out the best ratio (RAM multiplier) if i start to increase the FSB? - -

I have used Easytuner5 in windows and started to push up the FSB (leaving the bios settings as i stated above with the ram set to 800mhz)... the result was that the RAM started to climb from 800Mhz very quickly as i increased the FSB only small increments.

Ideally i would like the CPU to be getting on for 2.8Ghz and the RAM to be around 800Mhz. . .

Any/all advice welcome!

Cheers,

Max

Ideally i would like the CPU to be getting on for 2.8Ghz and the RAM to be around 800Mhz. . .
For 2.8 I would use the following settings:

CPU Multi = 7
FSB = 400
RAM Divider = 2 = 1:1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom