duron 900... socket A?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliasaid

Fully Optimized
hey i have an old compaq with a duron 900mhz processor, and nobody uses it since its kinda crappy... so i was thinkin of getting a cheap cpu off ebay.. socket A 2600+ barton or faster or w/e... but i was wondering if maybe its OLDER than socket A? i'm too lazy to connect the computer just to find out what mobo it is...

so you think its socket A? what sockets did durons fit on? if it is socket A, and lets assume its a very old socket A, will even the newest socket A (bartons, etc) work w/o bios flashes or anything like that..? (this is a compaq.. donno if bios flashes are possible.. or any modification at all is..)

well i don't know much about Slot A but it was the predecessor of Socket A (Socket 462). it was short lived platform and kind of just a response to Intel's absurd Slot 1 SECC platform. some of the early Duron's featured on it i think but i would say almost certainly that it is Socket 462. now here is your problem, in recent experiences i have realised that you may have quite a hard time installing an Athlon XP on any board that was paired with a Duron. 9/10 times a motherboard with a Duron will only have a budget chipset that supports Durons and the original Athlons (Thunderbird).....not Athlon XPs

edit: some sage advice Trotter the wise and Blind_Arrow gave me recently; find out your chipset with CPU-Z and then google it to find out its processor support.

lol, thx nitestick.

i forgot about checking chipsets.... guess i'll have to plug the ol' bugger in

duron has always been socket A.....i remember it came out after the semprons(754) but was still for budget socket A.
i guess since you have sA then your best bet would be the barton2600, it should be faster then duron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom