Genuine Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanp0286

Baseband Member
I currently have Windows XP Home Edition installed on my computer.... when I build my new computer will I be able to install Windows on it? I know it will probably say it is not a genuine version since all of the hardware will be different from what was originally registerd, but if I call Microsoft, will they issue me a new number? Or would I be better off buying a brand new OEM copy?

as long as your not using a OS cd from like dell or something all you would have to do is just enter the product key from the old computer and it will install fine. they only care if you have it on multiple pc's with the same product key simultaneously .

It will ask you to activate within 30 days, this is a 2 minute process over the internet. You should be fine after that, worst case scenario it will ask you to call M$ and you'll have to explain to them that this is a fresh install on a new pc and they'll give you a new serial.

If the key has been activated a couple times via online already, you will be prompted to call in, with a unique number to relay to the automated service or representative, they will give you a new activation code, tell them that it is a reactivation.

Yeah I already had to call Microsoft once because of being reactivated so many times cuz my computer is constantly messing up and needing to be reformatted. I just built my girlfriend a computer so I'll be using that until I build my new one.

tip for the future ...
after installing a fresh copy of windows , drivers and frequently used programs ..
install a program called acronis and make an image of ur hard disk ..
it will help u with the serial problie since u will use it always and not having to change it!

To right it wont work if its an oem copy, i bought a oem copy from microdirect legit and it said it was not genuine. I HATE MICROSOFT, but its ok..........i use linux now

Law said:
:D

It won't work if it's OEM disk though..

I use this everytime so I don't have to reinstall the OS again.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

Good ole acronis trueimage, whouldn't be without it. buts whats wrong with an OEM copy of XP home?

I have an OEM copy of home installed on 4 computers and it works just fine, no hassle from WGA. 1 of the computers isn't even mine, its my ex-girlfriends.. doubt she uses it much though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom