Slow laptop Qs

Status
Not open for further replies.

geargrinder65

Solid State Member
Hi all, new here 1st post.
I got a Toshiba Satellite (C650?) laptop for free. I put a 30GB HD in it, and loaded XP on it. It seems to run fine, but it's SLOW. It's got a Celleron in it(633MGz I think), and 128MB of RAM in it. My question is this: Will putting more RAM in this thing do me any good for speeding it up? Or will I just be kicking a dead horse with this CPU? If more RAM will help, how much do I need to get? will 256MB do it, or do I need to get 512MB?

more ram will do wonders for it.

can you run windows in 128 mb ram?

yes, but you can't do much with it.

even 256 is slow, 512 is recommended, and your processor should be fine, but I would recommend you check www.tweakguides.com and use his guide to lowering windows resource usage to make your laptop a lot faster.

Thanks! I just didn't want to waste $$ on RAM if it wouldn't help :)
XP seems to be running fine, but I will folow the link and see what can be done to help.

WOW! I didn't know how many types of laptop Mem. their were:eek:
All I can go on is:
The split in the mem. card is more centered than some I've seen
The sticker on my current (128MB) mem. reads Kingston KTT-SO100/64

Can any one tell me what type of mem. I'm looking for? (I'm gonna go with 512MB)

If I can't find any referance info. on it, is there any other way to find out what kind it is? Do I HAVE to have the same type, or will anything with the same pin count work?

the easiest way would probably be to use the serial number on the laptop and then go to your manufacturers website to look it up.

if thats not an option, try everest to give you info about your system.

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/EVEREST-Home-Edition-Download-16369.html

I'd recommend www.newegg.com for buying anything for computers.

I noticed today that I use about 120 mb ram on startup, so I can't imagine getting by on 128.

Check out the links I've posted, once you get ram installed and do some tweaks it should be a nice internet machine :)

OK, SO-DIMM REV 1.0 That mean anything?
OH WAIT! I just took it out, it says "PC100" on the back side :)

So now I'm guessing that PC100 is the magic designation I'm looking for when shopping for RAM?

yep that's right. Double check your laptop's model number at crucial or kingstons site to make sure it doesn't need proprietary sticks, also make sure how much memory you can actually install.

I found a spot on Toshiba's website that told me I have "128MB PC100 SDRAM upgradable to 320MB"
So dose this mean that 320MB is the most it can take? Or is that just saying that it could be ordered with 320MB? (I've never seen 320MB of RAM before?!?)
Sorry for all the dumb questions, this is just the 1st laptop I have worked on, and parts a a little spendy so I don't want to get the wrong thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom