Radeon power cable question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAG

Baseband Member
Hi,

I bought an ATI Radeon X1300. This computer has a 360W power supply, and already has a SATA hard drive and two CD-ROM drives in it.

When I try to connect the card, I don't even see any display, but the diagnostic lights say 'possible expansion card failure'. So assuming the card isn't being powered adequately, what should I do?

The manual for the ATI card says to use their Y cable to connect it to a hard drive and split it...however I only have a SATA hard drive in here, and the SATA power cable doesn't match the regular IDE power connectors on the Y cable.

I tried doing it with my CD-ROM drive, but that didn't work, same problem- no display.

What should I do? I don't need both CD-ROM drives...actually I don't need either one because I have an external DVD burner. Should I disconnect one, and plug one end of that cable into the Y adapter, and leave one end of the cable blank (obviously with the third end going into the card)? Or should I buy a different cable that can accomodate the SATA power connector?

thanks

It's actually best to NOT split the power going to the HDD. That can cause problems with the HDD.

Make sure the card is fully seated.

Yeah, the card is fully seated...I mean the only thing is, this is an AGP Pro slot, however I know it's backwards compatible because the card has a registration tab.

So I guess I should just remove one of the CD-ROM drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom