R600 is 250W monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waphlez

Fully Optimized
http://theinq.com/default.aspx?article=34446

The X1950XT currently uses between 125W-145W; now the R600 is set to double that. I hear they're going to offer or include an external power supply. That thing is going to get real hot. Although it looks like ATI might have a winner on their hands. I wouldn't recommend getting the G80 before the R600 comes out.

I just hope 550W is enough to handle that. I'm sure it is, as I know people who run xfire x1900s with 550W.

Well, if you take the 250W out, you have 300W left for your system.

and, OMG!!! That much for a card? Geez! What have they put in there?

That's why most likely they are going to have an external power supply. They are making cards take way too much power. Too worried about seeing how much pixels is can push.

External powersupplies.... looks like some people predictied the future.

Holy ****! Using THAT much power, the ****er had better at least deliver big time performance wise, to say the least!

003 said:
Holy ****! Using THAT much power, the ****er had better at least deliver big time performance wise, to say the least!

If it does not, then I am speechless.

I have a pretty strong feeling that if the leaked R600 specs are true (64 pipelines and 64 shaders; the probable cause for the huge power usage) is going to stomp on G80. This of course is just speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom