cpu usage skips from 0% to 34% every 2 seconds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggourat

Beta member
I just bought this laptop (a dell latitude c610) P3 1.0 GHz 256 ram and it just "skips" all the time. The mouse freezes in mid movement and so does any program I run. This is a new laptop to me and I hope I don't have to bring it to someone to get it fixed. Any ideas?

thats a preatty slow system any processes running in the background can make it twitch like that. how long have you had it. try leaving it on for about 2 hours with no activity and see if it still spikes when you come back to it

NvidiaDude said:
I know 1 problem.... >>DELL<<
Well, I will be frank. Dell laptops aren't bad. The OS that came along with it is.

@Jiggourat: Can I ask you something? Do you have a clean install of Windows or was Windows in it when you bought it?

Yeah win 2000 was loaded on the laptop when I bought it.
I thought that that was a pretty stable OS and I have never experienced anything like this before.
As for whoever said the laptop is the problem: if you aren't going to provide a solution don't waste my time.

Well, as it came preloaded, do a Virus scan, spyware scan, defrag, clean those old files and stuff with CCleaner and if that still doesn't work, the OS might just take the memory and stuff. MSCONFIG is there to modify the startup. If it's still slow, then a reinstall is needed.

Jiggourat said:
Yeah win 2000 was loaded on the laptop when I bought it.
I thought that that was a pretty stable OS and I have never experienced anything like this before.
As for whoever said the laptop is the problem: if you aren't going to provide a solution don't waste my time.

the lap top could very well be part of the problem those are very low specs. try lhuser's suggestion and if that doesnt work preform a clean install of the OS.

lhuser said:
Well, as it came preloaded, do a Virus scan, spyware scan, defrag, clean those old files and stuff with CCleaner and if that still doesn't work, the OS might just take the memory and stuff. MSCONFIG is there to modify the startup. If it's still slow, then a reinstall is needed.

I can't find MSCONFIG on win 2000! I can't believe this I feel like a noob... Someone pointy me in the right direction please?

I've never used Windows 2000 before, but it's anything like the other versions of Windows I've used then you want:

Start > Run > type in "msconfig"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom